Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I just came into posession of a Chevy 402. I usded to to have a 396 version of this engine and it was fast. dual tunnel ram and some tweaks in a 64 chevelle and it was 10.2 138mph at the strip. I now have a 402 and well would like to build it for a Chevy Blazer 4x4 running 49" tires with 6.72 rockwells. The builder and I would like 600 reliable horse power on 100 octane fuel . I have been doing some reading and found this engine makes a lot of horse power but not torque. Any ideas on what I should do so for around 2500.00?

·
http://teamrfc.gospelcom.net
1,742 Posts
That is going to be really hard unless you go with nitrous, but I am guessing that on a rock crawler that wouldent be the best idea. To kind of put into perspective what you are looking at, you are asking for 1.5 hp per cubic inch. That is alot if you want to stay on 100 octane. I have seen a few pump gas (10.5:1) motors make 1.5, but they all had fully ported aftermarket heads, a mechanical roller cam, and were rapped to 6500-7000 RPM. With the setup you are looking at, you will probably want the power to come in a little sooner than that. I would say that if you dropped the RPM range of the motor, but raised the compression to 12:1 or whatever you can and stay on 100 octane, you may be able to get 600 hp. The only hook is that you will have at least $3000 in a set of fully ported aftermarket big block heads alone.

Adam

·
Registered
319 Posts
With a 402, it will be extremely difficult to obtain 600hp for $2500 without nitrous. It also comes down to what machine work is needed for that motor. With nitrous, forged pistons will be a must. You will also need aftermarket heads to flow enough to feed that motor. A bigger cubic inch motor will make that power in a lower rpm range and will be more reliable in the long run.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts