Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
As I have wrote in earlier topics I'm still having my 403 engine rebuild ...

This is being rebuild and balanced this week in the machine-shop by an experienced machinist .

403 Olds engine cleaned and bored .024

- Keith Black hypereutectic flat top pistons KB405024
- Mondello SG-490 Halo support girdle with ARP main studs
- Mondello forged steel crankshaft
- Mondello forged steel flexplate
- Mondello forged steel connecting rods that have been heat treated and cryogenically frozen
- Mondello WT-195 Crankshaft Windage Tray
- Edelbrock camshaft and lifters 3712 , Hydraulic Flat Tappet, Advertised Duration 280/290, Lift .448/.472
- Edelbrock timing chain 7813 dual roller

- PFS-80022 Harmonic balancer
- B&M Torque converter bmm 20412
- Edelbrock Valve springs 5812
- Edelbrock Intake Performer Manifold 2711
- Edelbrock performer Carburator 750 cfm
- Hooker supercompetition headers
- Magnaflow mpe 15899 tru X-pipe , dual exhaust kit with dual mufflers

As you can see I have spend a few 1000 $$$ already and I hope I made the right choices ...

What do you think so far guys of this set-up

·
Registered
17,613 Posts
Although I've built a couple of 455's in my lifetime, I generally know little or nothing about Oldsmobiles. If I were going to attempt a 403 build, I'd lean heavily on the knowledge of others, seeking out articles such as this one...
http://www.mondellotwister.com/ArtUnsungH.htm

and this one....
http://www.mondellotwister.com/Art403Olds.htm

and this one....
http://www.mondellotwister.com/ArtHeadPort.htm

and this one....
http://www.mondellotwister.com/ArtPtngAtHme.htm

and this one....
http://www.mondellotwister.com/ArtHrsePwrSec.htm

and this thread....
http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/recipe-403-olds-69518.html

and I'd be hanging out on this forum where I could pick the brains of people who specialize in Oldsmobiles. Not trying to run you away, just trying to help you see how I would do things if I were in your place....
http://www.realoldspower.com/phpBB2/index.php

Looks like to me that you're planning to spend A TON OF MONEY. I just hope you get your money's worth. :(

·
Registered
650 Posts
Absolutely, go log into RealOldsPower.Com, you can find successful builds in the Combinations Forum, get some of the best engine tech available when it comes to Oldsmobiles

And the Feedback forum has a list of who's good to deal with, and who isnt. Id suggest you check there before buying anything else.

Good luck with your build, hopefully it will meet your expectations.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
For now I'm gonna use the stock 403 heads ... I know ...
But It's not easy to find #5 heads here in Belgium (Europe) !!!!
Maybe in the future ...
But I have read that it's better to put big block heads on my Olds 403 , with the KB pistons then the SB #5 heads !
But even those I can't find here ...

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey man , thanks for the info and reply !
I'll check on Ebay for the BB heads , "C" are the best you say ?
Maybe I'll work on the stock heads .. but I don't think that my machinist here in Belgium has the right tools to do that , maybe another one can do the job ...
I don't know exactly what they mean with work on the stock heads .
Better flow , porting , ... ???
I don't know what they mean with that , newbie ... still learning !!!

·
Registered
71 Posts
normally "work" on stock heads mean magnaflux them (check for cracks) if they come out ok then they hot tank them and clean them up then tear them down and give them a 3 angle valve job,then they grind the valves just to clean them up and roll them and check if any are bent they will just replace the bent ones they wont back cut them,they may put in new retainers and locks then check if the valve guides are set and reassemble them this all usually costs about $300-$325 and yes for the money olds "c" heads are the way to go you can go to realoldspower.com lotsa good info there on parts combos and stats etc. hope this helps and good luck with that detroit iron in europe

·
Registered
7 Posts
403 beast

hey man seems like everyone has you covered...i love that motor have one in my 79 ta--its all stock -- owned since dad bought it for him/me when i was 7.. :cool: anyways just wanted to post -- theres a lot of misunderstood motors and this lil gem is one of em

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yep , I have bought a bigger cam at Mondello's and a new rocker kit / set , I needed one he said at mondello .
My Edelbrock Intake and Edelbrock Timing Chain I can still use them Mondello said , thats good ...
a couple days now till my goodies are here ... FedEx

I have the choice here in Belgium : 95 or 98 octane ... !!!
what is best ?
Can someone tell me what oil I should use in my high performance 403 Olds ?
a brand or type maybe ?
w40 , w50 , ...

And thanks so much guys for the help and the usefull advice and info
If you come to Belgium I buy you a bear ...

·
Registered
71 Posts
95 IS PLENTY hot what compression ratio is it? and what are cam specs? try to run royal purple after you break it in 10w30 would be just fine as well and throw in some e3 plugs run it nice and hot with some 1 5/8 headers into 3 inch collectors and your well on your way to a torquey little runner oh yea what rear gear you have? that will have a big impact on cam choice as well
somethin like .204/.214 with .448/.472 duration would be great with street gears like a 242.1 rear gear DO NOT FORGET BREAK IN ADDITIVE i use lucas zinc engine oil supplement works fine this should be a great highway hauler with that setup not real quick 1/4 mile times but good acceleration from a roll and real comfortable ride at a steady 2000-2500 rpm with good economy ive run this set up and was very pleased

·
'49 Suburban
16 Posts
TommyV_11 said:
I have the choice here in Belgium : 95 or 98 octane ... !!!
Europe and America have different methods for octane rating- the number at the pump in America is gotten by taking the Research Octane Number (RON) which is typically higher because of the testing methods and the Motor Octane Number (MON) and averaging them. If you look at a pump it will say (R+M)/2 octane. In Europe, gas companies sell using the RON rating only because it looks higher. Your 98 octane is the equivalent of 94 here in the States.

For a more in depth summary of this go here.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Thanks on that info for the gas and oil !

I didn't touch the rear gears yet ... suggestions ?
Just standard , mondello didn't asked anything about that ... ???
The guy on the phone said I needed a bigger cam then the one I already had from Edelbrock ( 3712 Advertised Duration 280/290, Lift .448/.472 )
He said it was now to small to match with the other Mondello parts !

It's gonna be around 9.5 compression I think with the KB pistons and standard 4A heads .

I'm gonna put the Hooker supercompetition headers on it
3 inch collectors , 1 3/4 in.

" DO NOT FORGET BREAK IN ADDITIVE "
what do you mean with that ?

·
Registered
71 Posts
your cam was fine the .448/.472 is a great cam with street gears bro "mondildo" sucks he just wants to make sales first find out what gear ratio you have now probably like a 2.42-1 rear gear which is fine for a street car did you tell him you were taking it to the track??
other wise that cam is fine up to 9.5-1 c.r. id call comp cams outta memphis tn and get some break in lube or try summit or jegs tell 'em you need new cam break in some shops call it e.o.s (engine oil supplement ) otherwise your gonna flatten that new caM :mad: are you running the heads with the stock 77-80 cc chambers? any bowl work done or polishing? try ebay and get some #5 heads or bb "c" heads either way they will be leaps and bounds ahead of those 4a paper weights
they are just corking up the power you need unless it is just a commuter right now
by the way what are the full specs on the "mondello cam"?
especially the lobe seperation angle that is a huge factor in what you want it for for you id go the wider the better with that reaR GEAR
you have a stock torque convertor as well?
find this stuff out and get back to me man i'll walk ya through this and make your 403 a killer
im an olds freak :)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
He man , I appreciate your comments but It's driving me crazy over here ... :smash: :D
There are guys out there ( hitman trans-am forum ) who says that Mondello is the best you can find for an olds engine because thats ALL they DO !!! and you call them " Mondildo " :rolleyes:

First thing They ALL said was to throw away that small Edelbrock cam !!!
I don't know it anymore , but I have already bought the Mondello cam and with all the good stuff from Mondello ( steel crank , steel rods , halo girdle , steel flexplate , rockers ) , the guys adviced me to go to Mondello for the matching cam ...

My bottom will be stronger for taking extra Hp and torque Mondello said !
All the forged steel parts are not necessary at the 400Hp level ... but it's gonna be great if I change the heads and maybe go to 500 Hp ...
Mondello has a 403 with 547 Hp with most of my set-up , except other heads , it was on Hotrodders Magazine I think ...

Also I hear of others who run the KB pistons with the stock 4A heads and they work just fine together , just gotta have them cleaned and port matched , they say !

I have a B&M Torque converter bmm 20412
I can also change the rear gears not ?
to match with my bigger cam from Mondello ...
I think the gears are 3.08 and it's the TH350 stock transmission !
Do I need another transmission ? TH400 ?

I'm gonna drive my Trans-Am on the streets most of the time , but also burn some rubber from time to time ... :D

·
Registered
71 Posts
Mondello sells good quality stuff dont get me wrong they are just sly salesmen for example they just take edelbrock heads and repackage them and crank up the price the performer cam is a great low end cam in the olds but if you have a matching cam from mondello go with it they are just pricey you can get better deals if you know what you want and shop around is all im saying make no mistake mondello is not joe mondello he started it but then sold it off and started a head porting school and the new guy is pretty sly find out the cam specs and your rear gear and get back to me hows that sound?

·
Registered
650 Posts
If you do a web search or check the vendor section on here or ROP, you will find a number of people who have been ripped off by the current operator of Mondello's. As mentioned, Joe Mondello lives in TN now, does not run the California business.
All of their camshafts are available from any Edelbrock supplier, or straight from Engle Cams.
Most of the other parts are reboxed and marked up.

Forged cranks come out of mid sixties 330's, can be bought for a couple hundred dollars.
All Olds rods are forged from the factory.

Good luck on the rest of your build, but shop wisely, you'll save a lot of money and grief.

·
Old(s) Fart
6,014 Posts
FmrStrtracer said:
Forged cranks come out of mid sixties 330's, can be bought for a couple hundred dollars.
All Olds rods are forged from the factory.
Just to expand on that a little, all Olds small block motors (260, 307, 330, 350, and 403) use the same stroke. All SBO gasoline engine cranks will physically interchange, though you may need to rebalance. The forged 64-67 330 cranks are an excellent choice for a performance SBO and as noted are readily available. All SBO rods are the same length. The 403 rods are a little beefier than other SBO rods.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.