Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 1 head off. Bad headgasket install ,bfo, caused loss of compression on one cylinder. Want to take head and have the cylinder side and the exhaust side machined true. Had to remove broken bolts with heat never been removed before, and a chunk of headgasket missed in former repair ie the compression loss. Have two broken exhaust manifolds but only trying to get it running on all 8 right now.
Is it OK to true one head on a 403 and can I use 400 pontiac exhaust manifolds and the y pipe that goes with it on my 403? I know other head will have to come off if the bolts don't come out. Don't want header expense right now also this thing is low enough as it is. Don't want to drag the ground with exhaust. Im planning engine mounts as well. Thanks for the help.

·
Old(s) Fart
6,017 Posts
The 403 is an Oldsmobile-sourced motor. The only things it has in common with a Pontiac motor are the distributor cap and rotor. Once you have the intake and one head off, it isn't much more work to get the other one off. Do them both.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
True. I understand.
This is a shoestring budget, get it running better kind of job.
Not sure if im even going to get to keep it the way things are going. This is my only shot at a muscle car. I am considering going ahead and getting the other one off. Thanks.

·
Hates: Liver. Loves: Diesel
6,318 Posts
Head gasket kits come as a pair, so might as well do both. This will prevent one side having slightly higher compression than the other. Surfacing a head is cheap. Two shoestrings instead of one.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I agree. Its just im cutting shoestring in half and only lacing part way up. Gonna have to save up for the 200 to get the heads done and then return the headgasket and get a set. Knew I couldn't get by cheap. Motor mounts are inexpensive though, a pair for less then the price of the single headgasket.
The only reason I got this one was the owner thought the frame was rusted in two cause the front bent down when it was off the ground. Bad subframe bushings thankfully. That was a chore yesterday. My buddy that does the heavy lifting will be here soon and I'll break the news to him about pulling the other head.

·
Race it, Don't rice it!
8,828 Posts
Cars are repairs in shop daily all around the USA by just one bank.
I don’t see a problem doing that way.
I look at this way, if you break another bolt or two, then now your in even further.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I agree. I'm looking at months instead of weeks now. Im telling myself it's going to be worth it. What convinced me is the thought. How did I fix customers cars when I worked? Besides. If I'm going to be in pain doing this stuff. I don't want to do it twice.
We spent a long time getting the broken bolts out of this head so I want to fix the other side too. I hate exhaust leaks.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Bodies, the other side is leaking too. Just hope the manifold isn't busted like the drivers side.
BTW does anyone know if the 403 manifolds are the same pontiac cars to Oldsmobile cars?

·
******* Professional
1,433 Posts
Bodies, the other side is leaking too. Just hope the manifold isn't busted like the drivers side.
BTW does anyone know if the 403 manifolds are the same pontiac cars to Oldsmobile cars?
From 1977 -1981 Oldsmobile small block 307, 330, 350,and 403 h...
The high performance exhaust manifold that GM never produced. This is the high performance solution instead of headers for Oldsmobile small block V8 engines.These manifolds were conformed from the 1970 455 W30 manifold and custom fit to the small block for all proper clearances. They will fit 1964 - 1988 small block Oldsmobile 307, 330, 350, 403. Will fit all GM A body cars, G body cars, F body Trans Am with a 403 and 1971 and newer B and C body cars.

So if reverse is true, there is your list of cars that have manifolds that should fit.
1964-1988 307, 350, 350, 403 Oldsmobile engines in A, G, F body cars as well as 71+ B and C body cars.

·
Old(s) Fart
6,017 Posts
From 1977 -1981 Oldsmobile small block 307, 330, 350,and 403 h...
The high performance exhaust manifold that GM never produced. This is the high performance solution instead of headers for Oldsmobile small block V8 engines.These manifolds were conformed from the 1970 455 W30 manifold and custom fit to the small block for all proper clearances. They will fit 1964 - 1988 small block Oldsmobile 307, 330, 350, 403. Will fit all GM A body cars, G body cars, F body Trans Am with a 403 and 1971 and newer B and C body cars.

So if reverse is true, there is your list of cars that have manifolds that should fit.
1964-1988 307, 350, 350, 403 Oldsmobile engines in A, G, F body cars as well as 71+ B and C body cars.
Year One is not a reliable source for factory part fitment. They are trying to sell the products they stock. Their technical info, ESPECIALLY concerning Oldsmobiles, is suspect and frequently incorrect. Keep in mind that this is the same company that says that their plastic Chevelle cowl screens are correct for Oldsmobile as well. :rolleyes:

The original manifolds for a small block Olds motor in the second gen F-body cars are casting number 411961 for the driver side and 563619 for the passenger side. 411961 is pretty common since it was used on pretty much every 1973-1984 small block Olds including the diesels. 563619 is the problem. This was only used on the 77-79 F-body cars with Olds 403 and 350 (the latter were Calif-only) and the 1979 Cadillac Seville with the fuel injected Olds 350 motor.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
No offense to the Pontiac and Olds people but I guess I got spoiled with my chevy small blocks way back when I was young and dinosaurs roamed the earth.
I know for a fact that I need the left, drivers, side manifold. I am pulling the right, passenger side this morning. Should understand what else I'm going to need.
These manifold numbers help bunches cause I'm goig shopping in the old salvage yards or Ebay. Just heard from my cohort in crime, said we may be able to braise the manifold back together. I can braise but never braised cast iron before, It is pourus and would accept it. Let me know what you think and I will let you know how it turns out. Got nothing to loose and my budget would like not buying exhaust manifolds.

·
Hates: Liver. Loves: Diesel
6,318 Posts
My main reason for suggesting doing both heads was that he said "bad head gasket install." If the other side was done in the same way, I'm just trying to suggest he pay the extra now and do it right to prevent having to spend another weekend next month doing the same repair on the other side and buying more gaskets, coolant, another oil change, etc.

Doing both now adds $100 to surface the other head. Doing it again next month will double the cost and time.

And btw... is $100 really what they're getting for surfacing a head these days? Last one I had done was about 5 years ago and it was $30.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I agree. We were thinking a simple repair but its just not going to be that way. I want to do it right. I agree about previous repairs.
Found out an old friend owns a machine shop. Know he does things right.
Gonna be fun!

·
******* Professional
1,433 Posts
Year One is not a reliable source for factory part fitment. They are trying to sell the products they stock. Their technical info, ESPECIALLY concerning Oldsmobiles, is suspect and frequently incorrect. Keep in mind that this is the same company that says that their plastic Chevelle cowl screens are correct for Oldsmobile as well. :rolleyes:

The original manifolds for a small block Olds motor in the second gen F-body cars are casting number 411961 for the driver side and 563619 for the passenger side. 411961 is pretty common since it was used on pretty much every 1973-1984 small block Olds including the diesels. 563619 is the problem. This was only used on the 77-79 F-body cars with Olds 403 and 350 (the latter were Calif-only) and the 1979 Cadillac Seville with the fuel injected Olds 350 motor.
Glad you were able to look up the numbers. May I ask where? All the online GM part sources I know of only go back to 1985 these days.

·
Old(s) Fart
6,017 Posts
Glad you were able to look up the numbers. May I ask where? All the online GM part sources I know of only go back to 1985 these days.
I have my own database of Olds part and casting numbers. Note that the part number for items like manifolds may or may not be the same as the casting number, so parts books are not particularly helpful for that.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts