Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, finaly got the pan on and about to prime the egine for it's first start up. :drool: I've heard lots of different oils and additives for breaking an engine in. Just wondering what some of your guys' oppinions were on type of oil and what additive to use??

Thanks, Farmwalker

·
Registered
50 Posts
Lucas makes an additive, it not only works great for break-in, its designed to run it at all times with FT cams, Its there zink additive. I've been running it in my 406, I broke in 2 Hyd. FT cams & all is good, even broke in the cams with the stand 132/320 spring pressure.

·
WFO
5,030 Posts
Hey guys, finaly got the pan on and about to prime the egine for it's first start up. :drool: I've heard lots of different oils and additives for breaking an engine in. Just wondering what some of your guys' oppinions were on type of oil and what additive to use??

Thanks, Farmwalker
There are special oils used for break in (Royal Purple, Joe Gibbs, Comp Cams, etc.) but for a straight 30w you can use Brad Penn 30w break in oil @ ~$6.00/qt (I don't know if there are other straight 30w break in oils or not), or any good 30w HD oil w/an additive like ZDDPlus.

No special additives needed if you have a roller cam.

A couple pages w/some info:

Adjust lifters
Cam break in
First start up

FWIW I have always used a 30w HD single grade oil for break in, not a multi-grade. But it seems that a lot of engines are now broken in using 10w-30, 15w-40, etc. No idea if this has anything to do w/cam failures we all keep hearing about, or not. And yes I know what the numbers mean. Just saying.

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
6,079 Posts
There are special oils used for break in (Royal Purple, Joe Gibbs, Comp Cams, etc.) but for a straight 30w you can use Brad Penn 30w break in oil @ ~$6.00/qt (I don't know if there are other straight 30w break in oils or not), or any good 30w HD oil w/an additive like ZDDPlus.

No special additives needed if you have a roller cam.

A couple pages w/some info:

Adjust lifters
Cam break in
First start up

FWIW I have always used a 30w HD single grade oil for break in, not a multi-grade. But it seems that a lot of engines are now broken in using 10w-30, 15w-40, etc. No idea if this has anything to do w/cam failures we all keep hearing about, or not. And yes I know what the numbers mean. Just saying.
Interesting about the 15W-40. I had read somewhere about Shell Rotella 15W-40 being good and was using that. I used EOS from GM for break in. This was a mild 212/212, .440/.440 cam. I was doing a cam swap and found the lifter just starting to get concave when I held a straight edge across the bottom. I should have been using the additive on every oil change ....or was the 15W-40 the cause?????

Anyways, no more FT cams for me after seeing that.

·
WFO
5,030 Posts
Interesting about the 15W-40. I had read somewhere about Shell Rotella 15W-40 being good and was using that. I used EOS from GM for break in. This was a mild 212/212, .440/.440 cam. I was doing a cam swap and found the lifter just starting to get concave when I held a straight edge across the bottom. I should have been using the additive on every oil change ....or was the 15W-40 the cause?????

Anyways, no more FT cams for me after seeing that.
The straight 30w was just for break in. After that I always use a multi-grade.

I tend to err on the cautious side, so I use ZDDPlus at oil changes, even on my DD '80 Malibu w/a flat tappet V6.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I'm getting ready to break in a new cam in a newly rebuilt engine. I bought the Comp Cams break in oil. When using this oil, is it still a good idea to add ZDDPlus for the cam break in? Or is that overkill? I have a supply of the ZDDPlus on hand, which I put in my 86 Grand National with every oil change. Thanks,

·
WFO
5,030 Posts
I'm getting ready to break in a new cam in a newly rebuilt engine. I bought the Comp Cams break in oil. When using this oil, is it still a good idea to add ZDDPlus for the cam break in? Or is that overkill? I have a supply of the ZDDPlus on hand, which I put in my 86 Grand National with every oil change. Thanks,
Too much additive is not good. Use the break in oil as-is. Use the ZDDPlus once you switch to over the counter oil.;)

Using a moly break in lube on the lobes and bottoms of the lifters (only the bottoms, motor oil for the sides of the lifter) is also important.

Some links that you might get something from: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/350-sbc-vortec-heads-cam-choice-227022.html#post1621329

Good luck.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.