Hot Rod Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok guys I need a little help. Its been a while since I have been in the game but am now getting back into it. I have a 91 firebird with a 406 small block that needs a little tlc since I have gotten the car back. it currently has a lunati 60105 cam but I am stepping down to a 60104. the specs are 504/525 lift. duration is 276/284 and at .50 it is 233/241. It is backed by the original 700r4 but has been completely gone through and built to handle the power. I need a head, intake and carb setup that will get me the power I want but still remain somewhat streetable. it is not a daily driver by any means but I want to take it out on weekends and have fun or sometimes take it to the track. I do plan on throwing a little nitrous in the mix eventually. HELP i need a little advice here

·
More for Less Racer
20,387 Posts
I'd say minimum 200 cc intake port volume, up to 215-220 cc would be in the ballpark, 2.02 or 2.05" valve, and would be looking for at least 250cfm @ 28" head flow near .500" lift, and more like 270+ cfm at .500" lift would be better.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
any advice on brands that may be better and possibly an intake manifold that would be suitable also it is very difficult to fit true dual on it what should I do for exhaust

·
More for Less Racer
20,387 Posts
any advice on brands that may be better and possibly an intake manifold that would be suitable
Profiler heads, Edelbrock Performer RPM or a clone of this manifold (Summit Stage II, Weiand Speed Warrior, Professional Products Cyclone), and 750 carb, pick you brand poison there (I'm a Holley man)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was thinking about leaving the 105 in I loved it when I had the car the first time. The only thing I am afraid of is the guy who bought it and sold the car back took the motor apart and switched some stuff. I do know that the timing is off terribly and the compression no longer is what 105 requires. The compression is around 9.8 to one and lunati suggests 10.5 so I am planning on tearing it apart to go through internally and while im at it I plan on either balancing the internals or buying a set that already are. So I am a little undecided at this point that is why I was thinkin 104 but if the 105 looks good maybe I will just leave it in then. although that is a pretty high stall considering its recommended 3500 but I do plan on goin lockup style. Any ideas on how much horse I might be running with a setup like this?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I dunno but for some reason I am really partial to the lunati voodoo. Do you have any preference on what would go good with that or do you have any preference on something else. I am hoping for about 450 maybe more depending on the right set up as long as I can drive it down the road and turn some heads im ok with that. When I talk to some people they are pretty positive I am going to be running more, how much I don't know. Around here they say if I set this up the way I want it should be one hell of a street machine.

·
Registered
12,338 Posts
use 300 cfm heads and a roller cam that gets the flow into the engine and you could be on the north side of 500 hp.I have not seen many flat tappet cams do that

I use a solid roller in my street car

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Hey thanks! Are you happy with it? How often you adjust rockers? How high of stall, vacuum or locked timing. And one more question what's the biggest you would go for a lunati voodoo I love a nice lumpy/rough idle. Honestly if i could scare the crap out of the car that wants to run I'm all game

·
Registered
12,338 Posts
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_StYoDufuEQ

this is what my engine sounds like at idle.Not easy to tune but it is drive able.
the car makes power from off idle until you poop your pants,
cam is 256º/264º @ .050 with over 600 lift. 434 cubes,950 holley, single plane intake,1 7/8 ///2" primary very long tube headers,10.7:1 cr, Dart 227 cc heads.
not a typical street engine. I use 3.50 gears and a 5 speed standard. I put the revlimiter lower than redline to keep the car on the road...

I think you should do less but take the same care to match all the parts

·
Registered
12,338 Posts
I adjust the valves every year. The first year I did it 3 times.
Yes I like it,but it does scare me if I add throttle to quickly in a corner

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That's not too terrible at all that's about what I would have to do is once a year. I highly doubt that the car would see 3000 to 4000 miles a summer. After doing a little research I kind of like the way some of those solid rollers sound and perform. Not to mention the lunati rollers have an aggressive profile ramp with good power ranges from what I see. freeing up a bit of power added to that advantage. I def wont go that big but big enough. Now the research begins on heads and pistons and if I get what I want I might ditch the thought of nitrous. I am gonna have a lot of thinkin to do these next few days I think. Especially if I go roller, now what heads, intake and carb, any body have any thought on dart, or afr, maybe brodix. I might do some research and see if profilers might even work.

·
Registered
12,338 Posts
profilers should work fine

Lets back up the boat,,,
how much actual power do you want and at what RPM?
Intended use? what type of fuel are you using?

the we pick heads/cam/compression ratio,,,

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
bare min 450 but if I can get more I would love to get as much as I possibly could get on 91 or 93 octane. If I have to do a mix or use an octane booster I would. If you have any tips I would love them.Intended use is a fun Saturday night special and she will see strip. As Long as I can either crack the ratchet shifter or bang the gears and put a grin on my face I'm happy with that. As long as it has some streetability it's ok I got the ok from the wife to do what I have to make the car what I want. Then I have to build her a late 40s early 50s hotrod truck

·
More for Less Racer
20,387 Posts
What does the current bottom end of the engine consist of?? I.E. crank, rods, pistons, bolts, etc??

Or are you willing to rebuild as needed to meet your goal if necessary??

·
Registered
17,613 Posts
Then I have to build her a late 40s early 50s hotrod truck
A savvy husband would shelve his '91 Firebird project and start on wifey's truck. The thing about the Firebird is, it's illegal by Federal law anyway and could cost you a ton of fines.

Offer her a COE and see what she says. I can think of nothing cooler than a shemale driving a COE.
https://www.google.com/search?hl=en...s=10000...0...1.1.48.img..0.3.275.dMwiIQyIL1g

This one is about as good as it gets in my opinion.....
http://www.jokerio.com/coe/
Click on the silver International with the oval grille, top row, second from the right....

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The bottom end is currently stock and I am looking into the new bottom end I found one from eagle that I have been eyeing up. We are currently looking for her truck she is looking for a chevy that she likes but she said she wants to wait until she can help because she is in college and working When she is done we will start on it . She didn't seem too keen on the COE. That really depends on the firebird tho doesn't it I am not too sure as long as it is gone through and licensed as a hobbyist car??That is what I was told anyway should probly look into it.

·
More for Less Racer
20,387 Posts
SCAT Cranks, Rods and Kits are better than Eagle...I'm assuming you are looking at 5.7" or 6" long stock appearing style I-beam rods, cast steel crank kits??

Forged or hyper pistons??

'91 Firebird is getting close to the 25 year exemption most states have.

What are your plans for the rear axle?? Stocker is puny and weak 7.625" 10-bolt, a good 400 will eat it up.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.