Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 406 in an 84 camaro and I have an oil leak. It drips off of the driverside of the block in the back by the filter. I have checked the Valve cover, oil pan, the back of the intake, distributer, dipstick, and even the pipe plug just above the filter, and they all seem dry. I did seem to find some oil at the back of the cylinder head where it meets the block. :confused:

·
You got a leaky spark tube...
2,854 Posts
How old is the engine? Maybe the heads need to be retorqued? Maybe it's seeping by the head gasket?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The engine was rebuilt last spring and I only have about 1000 miles on it. They are aluminum dart pro 1's, I used arp head bolts, and I torqued them to spec.

·
You got a leaky spark tube...
2,854 Posts
You may want to retorque the heads, especially since they are aluminum. A friend and I put a Nissan A15 together with an aluminum head and I kept telling him to retorque the head. Even after he noticed oil leaking between the head and block he never did it. The head gasket blew after less than 5500 miles. When I put a torque wrench head bolts not one was tighter than 30 ft lbs and a few were down around 15 ft lbs. Spec was 65.

I also believe there are certain head gaskets you should and should not run with aluminum heads. Did you use the correct ones?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I should get back in there and recheck the torque. I used a fel-pro gasket that dart told me to use. If I look at my reciepts I can find what gasket I used.

·
Registered
994 Posts

There are no oil passages through the head gasket so I don't think that a head gasket is your leak problem. Do you have the oil plug in the driver's side upper rear deck? You can see the hole in the picture above just over the edge from the oil sensor hole.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Oil Leak

I have seen oil leak from the intake manifold corners where it meets the cylinder head/block area. Usually will follow down the bottom of the cylinder head and drip down.
What I have done to remedy this is to make sure when I am putting the silicone on for the manifold end rails is to make sure a little extra gets squeezed in the gap at the water port/intake manifold area where it meets the cylinder block

Might not be your leak, but good luck

Chris Laarman
Ottawa Engine and Performance

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Do you have the oil plug in the driver's side upper rear deck?
I remember putting a plug in that hole, and I used pipe thread compound that comes in a tube. Can I get to that plug with the head on?
I have seen oil leak from the intake manifold corners where it meets the cylinder head/block area.
It seemed dry in that area.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I checked the torque and it seems to be right at spec. I guess I'll take the intake off and have a look around. :(

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I got the intake off today. It looks like the pipe plug in the upper deck surface is leaking. The hole was filled with oil. Off comes the head. :(

·
Race it, Don't rice it!
7,734 Posts
I forgot about that plug once till it was read for priming. I was looking at the makeshift oil pressure guage and as soon as it hit 50 pounds... I was just pumpin away, looking the other way when I noticed the pressure dropping. 4 qrt on the floor makes a heckava mess.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
gravelman said:
i had same problem in my 406 in vega check ur dipstick tube rite were it meets block i had a pinhole in mine sounds the same
I tried two different dipsticks. It didn't seem to change.

johnsongrass1 said:
I forgot about that plug once till it was read for priming. I was looking at the makeshift oil pressure guage and as soon as it hit 50 pounds... I was just pumpin away, looking the other way when I noticed the pressure dropping. 4 qrt on the floor makes a heckava mess.
Wow! That really sucks.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I fixed it! :thumbup: It was the 1/4 pipe plug under the cylinder head! It was a lot of work to get it fixed! Thanks to everyone that helped me out.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts