Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to pull apart my 406 in a few months to freshen up and check the condition of everything. My question is I'm looking at new cam combo. Just curious if anyone know if a Duration 274/280, Lift .564/.570 cam will work for stock heads. And if not what is the biggest I can go without destroying my springs and dropping a valve. I don't want to be rebuilding motor every season. I don't want 800 hp being its more a street car. I plan on getting new springs and valve job and everything. I already know I "should" buy new heads but I plan on keeping motor and heads together being they are matching. Its in a 82 Camaro. Gm 10 bolt 383 with mini spool. Not sure what converter is in it rn and not sure what should go in either. Motor was made in 71

·
More for Less Racer
21,009 Posts
So they are matching, but that don't mean squat.....the heads used on any stock Chevy 400 weren't worth a crap for power even when the engine was brand new.....best thing you can do is toss them in the corner and get something better....certainly don't waste money rebuilding those junk things.
With the modifications that would be needed to make the stock head fit that cam, plus the cost of the general rebuild on the head, valvejob, new guides, new springs, seals etc you will spend enough that you could have had a brand new set of much improved budget class aluminum heads. Wouldn't need any modifications, just check and assemble.

Rebuilding old smogger era crap stock iron heads is a complete waste of money. Totally money not wisely spent.

You can get into aluminum for $700 if you know where and how to shop....the bare castings are just $170/each. heads flow 480 HP capable as cast, more if ported
Rebuilding what you've got plus modifications to fit a cam over .530-ish lift plus the springs to match is going to match that $700 figure or come very close to it.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
I have these $170 heads E speaks of on my 406, and it runs very well.
This cam Straub Technologies was designed specifically for them.
It has enough guts to cruise at 2000 rpm in overdrive, with the converter locked up. And pulls like a banshee up to 5999 rpm. ( sometimes 6500 lol!)
This thing makes really good torque. I really like 2nd, and 3rd gear the best. The 4000 pound truck just moves effortlessly.
They can be setup for 64 or 68 cc chambers, depending on what valve you use.

What pistons do you have?

And how far down in the hole are they?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.