Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
had a brand new balancer split down the keyway with in the first half mile test drive after having motor apart and freshening it up.the thing is it took the keyway in my crank out to and i figured this is an opportunity to lower the compression to a respectable 9.5 with the gas the way it is.i had the short rods in the other motor.i pick up a fresh block from the machine shop tomorrow and am wondering if some one can tell me ahead of time about gringing rod bolts for cam clearancing.all of them or only particular ones.i'll be so damned happy to be rid of those short rods.incase it makes a difference the new rods are eagle sir 5.7.i've seen some info here about this before but don't remember how far back it was.thanks for any input.

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
The only way to know what needs grinding is to put the engine together and see where it has issue. One my 400 with 6 inch rods I just had to remove about .0625 or so on the outside profile of the rod where the capscrew went in. It actually did not hit, but the clearance was not measurable and less than .01 from what I could tell. I wanted to make sure that there was no contact when things started to grow.

Chris

·
Registered
9,050 Posts
I have seen many of the new balancers split. I now send them out and have the inside diameter honed to correct specs. These balancers seem to all be made "across the pond" and marketed under various name brands. ALL are too small!!

As for clearance on the rod bolts. As previous post says, you have to check. I have had them clear, no problem, and I have had some that required grinding thru the bolt head. Each motor is an individual.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the input guys.i'm kinda excited to get this thing back together and on the road and am trying to be better prepared for this rebuild.had the other motor many times over the yrs but this one has all new parts.thanks again.

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
Just take your time and plan on some clearancing. You may also have to watch the bottom of the cylinders. I had to do alot more clearancing there. If you do, you will have to devise a way to keep all the debris out of your fresh block, or better yet take it to the car wash and clean it up later.

Chris

1 - 5 of 5 Posts