Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently built a 406 sbc. I ended up getting a nitrous kit for a song after I built it and am debating on whether the motor will hold up or not. I would re-gap the rings but my main concern is the stock crankshaft. Will it hold up or not. Its approx HP is 450 and ft lbs of trq. I-Beam push rods. If I'm pulling the pistons to re-gap the rings I will change over to a forged piston but will the crank hold up to a 150 shot. Thats pushing 600 hp when its all said and done.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
406 sbc

Recently built a 406 sbc. I ended up getting a nitrous kit for a song after I built it and am debating on whether the motor will hold up or not. I would re-gap the rings but my main concern is the stock crankshaft. Will it hold up or not. Its approx HP is 450 and ft lbs of trq. I-Beam connecting rods. If I'm pulling the pistons to re-gap the rings I will change over to a forged piston but will the crank hold up to a 150 shot. Thats pushing 600 hp when its all said and done.
The motor is built really well. I took my time and had a sectioned off a room in my shop that was a nice as any living room, warm and comfortable there was time to relax and do the job without cutting corners. I was aiming for around 500 hp and will achieve that by getting better flowing heads. I used the original crankshaft not thinking I'd use nitrous, but should have beefed it up as-well.

·
More for Less Racer
19,517 Posts
The stock crank can handle that nitrous hit without a problems....just make sure your fuel volume and ignition timing are correct.

Best way to ensure this is to have a separate fuel pump and line for the nitrous along with a timing retad for the ignition.

Depending on the age of the nitrous kit, you may want to go online and look up current fuel and nitrous jet combinations....modern ratios are a lot different than what is provided in older kits. Testing and technology has shown that the older ratio's were far from correct.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts