Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got this vega it has a 406sbc , dart pro one heads, pbm cam, 750 brawler carb. Cannot get it to idle in gear. Had an old bg demon750 carb on it before switched to this brawler 750 hoping it would fix the issue. Still no change, ive adjusted the carb multiple times. Idles perfect in park but in 1st bogs down and dies. If you keep your foot on the throttle it will stay running and runs consistent 6.40s in the 1/8. Anybody have any words of wisdom or ideas i could try? Swap jets? Get an 850 carb?
Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Hood

·
More for Less Racer
20,926 Posts
Supply more info....cam duration and lift, stall converter rpm, and how is your ignition set up?
How many degrees initial timing, how much mechanical is added and by what rpm is it fully added, vacuum advance on ported, full time, or not used at all?

Is this problem a relatively new occurance, or has it always been there and you can't get rid of the problem?

Cool Vega, by the way!!!!
I've got a '72 Vega Sedan that is about 2/3 of the way finished to looking like yours. I'm about ready to fab the tilt nose, once I stretch it 6" or so. Cage, small race tubs for 30 x13.5 max.

What's your combo?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Supply more info....cam duration and lift, stall converter rpm, and how is your ignition set up?
How many degrees initial timing, how much mechanical is added and by what rpm is it fully added, vacuum advance on ported, full time, or not used at all?

Is this problem a relatively new occurance, or has it always been there and you can't get rid of the problem?

Cool Vega, by the way!!!!
I've got a '72 Vega Sedan that is about 2/3 of the way finished to looking like yours. I'm about ready to fab the tilt nose, once I stretch it 6" or so. Cage, small race tubs for 30 x13.5 max.

What's your combo?
Cam is duration int 300 exh 306 lift int 540 exh 546
Not sure on converter or timing, my buddy bought the car from a guy and raced it last year. It has been super consistent and hasnt had any issues the whole time other than the idle thing. So we really never had a reason to mess with the timing or anything. I got it from him a few months back and ive just been cleaning it up and making it more comfortable for me to drive.(im a little taller than my buddy was). I just figured id try to figure out the idle problem. Its a 406/glide/dana60 ladder bar 31.5/12.5 hoosier

·
More for Less Racer
20,926 Posts
Really need to knoew all that timing info....that could easily be 3/4 of the problem. Rather than a carb issue.

It may never have been set-up correctly to begin with...leading to overadjusting on the carb on top of it all.

Whats the Duration @.050" tappet lift for that cam?

·
True Hotrodder
1,955 Posts
Cam is whey too oversized. The cam was not made for the street. It is a racetrack cam. Your lucky if you have any vacuum at idle.:cautious:
Maybe you missed it but this isn't a street car! Good sized Hoosiers in the back, lexan or Pro glass windshield and a vacuum evac system to the header collector are just some of the visual clues.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.