Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My current cam is a hyd. 244/250 @ .05, .575 lift, 106 lsa. Comp is 11.7-1, heads are port 200 cc sportsman 2's, intake is a air gap with a 750 dp. The car runs ok. I want more mid/top end power at the track...

Car is 2700 lbs., 4.56 gear, 3000 stall, 30 slicks.

I have two new solid cams that i inherited.

One is a single pattern .550 lift 256 dur. @ .05, 110 lsa. (Engle)

The other is the chevy 1st design off road cam. .493/.510 lift 257/269 dur. @ .05, 112 lsa. (Crane blueprint repo cam.)

I am looking at isky stuff also. I like that there shelf cams are mostly on 108 lsa.

Are one of these a good choice? If not I am open to recommendations.

I am considering changing to a 4000-4500 stall also and super victor intake or a street tunnel ram.

Thanks

·
Registered
12,338 Posts
engle cam

the engle solid and a victor junior intake is a big improvement.Ive used engle cams and I like them.I prefer solid over hydraulic and of course solid roller is my favourite.My solid roller is 256/264 @ 050 and its very streetable.

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
I would use the engle cam. However, the crane cam would be easier on the valve train and would most likely rev higher. However, I would start to worry about spinning up that engine past 7200 rpm.

I'm thinking you also need better heads. The intake swap would be a good idea. 408 is a lot of cubes, so the rules for a 350 don't apply here.

I would recommend a bigger head, victor intake, use the engle cam. More stall would be good also. But then the carb starts to get a little on the small side. Then maybe a little 100 hp shot of n02. Its a vicious circle of "upgrades" requiring other "upgrades".

a 4.56 gear with a 30 inch slick, you should be able to trap at 135 at 7000 rpms.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would use the engle cam. However, the crane cam would be easier on the valve train and would most likely rev higher. However, I would start to worry about spinning up that engine past 7200 rpm.

I'm thinking you also need better heads. The intake swap would be a good idea. 408 is a lot of cubes, so the rules for a 350 don't apply here.

I would recommend a bigger head, victor intake, use the engle cam. More stall would be good also. But then the carb starts to get a little on the small side. Then maybe a little 100 hp shot of n02. Its a vicious circle of "upgrades" requiring other "upgrades".

a 4.56 gear with a 30 inch slick, you should be able to trap at 135 at 7000 rpms.
The car traps at 122-123 in its current form...

·
Banned
9,993 Posts
My current cam is a hyd. 244/250 @ .05, .575 lift, 106 lsa. Comp is 11.7-1, heads are port 200 cc sportsman 2's, intake is a air gap with a 750 dp. The car runs ok. I want more mid/top end power at the track...

Car is 2700 lbs., 4.56 gear, 3000 stall, 30 slicks.

I have two new solid cams that i inherited.

One is a single pattern .550 lift 256 dur. @ .05, 110 lsa. (Engle)

The other is the chevy 1st design off road cam. .493/.510 lift 257/269 dur. @ .05, 112 lsa. (Crane blueprint repo cam.)

I am looking at isky stuff also. I like that there shelf cams are mostly on 108 lsa.

Are one of these a good choice? If not I am open to recommendations.

I am considering changing to a 4000-4500 stall also and super victor intake or a street tunnel ram.

Thanks
Where did you get a hyd flat tappet cam with .575" lift? That's huge for a hydraulic cam.

·
Banned
9,993 Posts
Custom from comp cams.
That's pretty rediculous lift for a hyd flat tappet sbc. Have you had it dyno'd? Id be very surprised if you had valve train control at that rpm, it may be why you don't feel it has any power there. Are you running special lifters? Maybe limited travel?

Both the cams you mentioned are smaller than this one but I can't see controling the one you have, kind of surprised it hasn't failed already.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That's pretty rediculous lift for a hyd flat tappet sbc. Have you had it dyno'd? Id be very surprised if you had valve train control at that rpm, it may be why you don't feel it has any power there. Are you running special lifters? Maybe limited travel?

Both the cams you mentioned are smaller than this one but I can't see controling the one you have, kind of surprised it hasn't failed already.
1.65 rockers on the intake.

·
Banned
9,993 Posts
that lsa is way to tight, you should be around 108 to 110. especially if those heads are ported. I'd just do the Engle cam and a super vic and a large single plane and see where you stand.

·
Registered
12,338 Posts
cam angle

I use a 108 square cam.If you have lower compression/smaller engine/not as high RPM requirements,then an intake centre around 106 degrees is ok.The problem with the lower centre line is rougher idle because of the overlap. My 108/108-420liftx1.6/1.5 needs to idle at 950 rpm and sounds ,,,,,,good,lol. Its very choppy.My camshaft peaks power at 6470 rpm according to the dyno,though it does not drop off until 6900 ish and only a little.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.