Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there, I checked the knowledge base first and found no help with the following questions;

1) Did the 409 SS come with a Powerglide option, or were they only 4-speed cars?

2) Was the 425 HP engine available in '62? Some say it was '63 before it became available. I've seen '62's advertised with it, so what's the truth?

3) Assuming the 409's had a Powerglide option, did the 425 HP version have it, too? My suspicion is no, but I could be wrong.

I'm writing a book in which the main character covets one of these cars and needs to know the above info. I've tried other sources and now I'm hoping an expert on this BB can help. I once owned a '65 Impala SS with a 327/Powerglide, but for the book I'm interested in the rarer/earlier versions.

·
Registered
9,050 Posts
Yes, you could get a "glide" behind an "09". Not positive, but I think all 425 hp cars were 4-spd.

A friend of mine had a really rare 409 65 Impala 4-spd. Very few were built because of the change over to the "Rat" motor.

·
Registered
5 Posts
re:409

i know in 61 they had a 360 hp
in 62 409 hp,and 63 425 hp. i have a freind of mine that could tell you what you need to know. he has an old salvage yard and is very sharp when it comes information. old cold cars and parts in oldtown fl ask for wayne

i ment old gold cars and parts

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
the 2X4 409 was available in 62...but as I recall that was a 409 Horse...not 425 horse... I also could be mistaken, but it seems to me the 2X4 cars were 4 speed only.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I guess that's the problem I'm having...I've seen some 'history of' listings that say the '62 had the 409/409 combo, but not the 425, yet I've seen '62 Impalas advertised with the 425HP rating...

Now, I know you can't believe what everyone says in the ads about their cars, but this would be a pretty dumb thing to do if it's easily verified that the 425HP engine was never made in '62.

Of course, in those years, sometimes options showed up at the tail end of a build run, so that *some* cars of that year had an engine that was only widely available the year after. I'm just wondering if anyone knows this was the case for the '62 Impala.

And, while I'm pretty sure the Powerglide could be had with the lower-horse 409's, I'm not at all certain yet it could be had with the 2x4 versions. I'm doubtful of it, from the responses I'm getting. I just wish there was some definitive source I could go to for this info. I Googled '409 Impala SS' but none of the sites I got back had the specific info I needed.

However, as far as my book is concerned, I've resolved part of the problem, going with the 'magic number' combo of 409HP in 409 cubic inches because it's more realistic that the guy would find one of these in an unrestored condition still being driven by the original owner. For the purposes of the book, I want it to have a Powerglide...I'm just hoping they had the option, even if it was a special order.

·
Registered
10,928 Posts
ChevyCan said:

Now, I know you can't believe what everyone says in the ads about their cars, but this would be a pretty dumb thing to do if it's easily verified that the 425HP engine was never made in '62.
Not really, you would be very suprised to know how many people pay big bucks for a 60's muscle car without verifying authenticity.

Vince

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
I might be wrong here but I am thinking there was two different camshaft/compression ratios so maybe that is the difference between the 409 and 425 hp. Or maybe as mentioned, early and late. I can't document anything, I just remember seing the 425 sticker on the aircleaner when I was a kid pumping gas in 64-65.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
302/Z28 said:
Not really, you would be very suprised to know how many people pay big bucks for a 60's muscle car without verifying authenticity.

Vince
I'll pull my foot out of my mouth...so far this thread has proven just how hard it is to verify such information. I've never had the pleasure to spend over forty thousand bucks on a car, so I just assumed anyone who did would want it authenticated first...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you! I love that show and I was pretty sure I'd seen them all...probably I have seen this one, but it was long enough ago that I don't remember it now.

Just have to mark December 15 on the calendar now.

·
Move It On Over!
227 Posts
I'm going to record it this time. It was a very good episode. It was like an "Everything you ever wanted to know about the SS but were afraid to ask". They definitely did their homework! The only thing they left out was with the newer SS's - they only went up to the '96 Impala SS, but there are some 2003+ Chevy Trucks and SUV's with the SS badges on them, but it's mostly mostly cosmetic stuff.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
66Caprice said:
The only thing they left out was with the newer SS's - they only went up to the '96 Impala SS, but there are some 2003+ Chevy Trucks and SUV's with the SS badges on them, but it's mostly mostly cosmetic stuff.
Chances were they made the Impala SS episode before 2003.

Of course, for the die-hards, the 'cosmetic' SS models are of little interest. I have very mixed feelings about the nostalgia thing causing the big three to re-pop Thunderbirds, Nomads, Hemis, etc., in the name of marketing instead of tradition.

I love the idea that the American Muscle Car thing is being recognized by the manufacturers, and that some attempt is being made to recapture the market. The new Mustang, Hemi and GTO (two-door, rear-wheel drive, 350HP V8) are welcome in comparison to all the weak V-6 front-powered dreck we've been offered in the last twenty years.

But- and this is a big 'but'- are they prostituting or diluting the name brands that were once so glorious? Is the new GTO anything like the original? Is the new Mustang as nasty as the original '70 Boss it emulates? The Thunderbirds don't compare at all. The PT Cruisers were only a slight stylistic reference to the vehicles they emulated. Does slapping an SS badge on the side of a modern truck make it a real 'SS' in classic terms?

What will the new Camaro/Trans Am look like or be configured as if it ever comes out? Will they stick a Z28 designation or SS badge on it that is wholly undeserved in the hopes of selling more of them?

Like I said, I have mixed feelings. Better that they offer *something* cool and fast- preferably rear-wheel drive V-8's with some power in them- than nothing. But I don't like them sticking classic, glorious names on them that they don't deserve.

Sorry, long rant, off-topic, couldn't help it.

Does *anyone* know if the 409/409 (2x4 bbl) in '62 came with the Powerglide option????

·
Shop Owner And Troll Hunter
2,643 Posts
At the hotrod power cruise this summer there was three SS new camaros.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.