Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im looking into stroking my 409 and i have seen them with 4.00 in strokes and have heard you have to machine the snout and cut a new key-way. I have also heard you have to machine the counter weights a bit. I want to go with the 4.25 in 454 stroker crank and have it machined, my only concern is that i would have to remove too much from the counter weights or that my journals would hit. has any one made a stroker like this? I know ross makes pistons for the 4.00 in strokers but i have not seen any for a larger stroke. i am considering still going with a forged 396 crank or a after-market 454 forged crank. I would like a quick revving engine but it will be mostly for torque. I plan on putting it in 70's chevy short box 2wd. I figure with a tonneau cover no one would notice a tubbed rearend. At least not the rice next to the old chevy truck. any ideas are welcome I have been looking into this a while now and am still finding new things every day. Thanks
Jared

·
Registered
3 Posts
go to www.348-409.com there are lots of posts about the 409's.... i also looked into stroking a 409 seemed like a lot of work and the parts are expensive...i dont know what h.p. motor you have but i have a 409-425 with just headers and a better ignition and it revs pretty fast ....

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the link they have the pistons for the 4.25" crank but does any one know if that crank takes any extra machine work to fit in than a 4.00" crank would? I dont want to take too much out of the counter weights. has any one ported the 333 casting truck heads? i have read that if you put hardend seats in the 409 heads you might hit water jackets and if so how much material can be taken out of the runners and can the heads take bigger valves since they are small valve heads or will that hit water too? if any one has done head work on these please let me know. i might go find some car heads if for nothing else than the 1 pt of comp. i have to make up for due to the dish in the 333's . thanks

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.