Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright guys, I know this sounds stupid but I need the exact wheel base for my 41. It's frame off at this point and the chassis has been stripped and blasted. I've got an economy IFS from Hot Rod Whse. with no instructions or measurements, My Bad. So, I've got to figure out the front end placement on my own, hopefully without having to put the body back on the chassis! I know I measured that before the dismantle, but don't know what I did with it, CRAFT Syndrome.
Help, Thanks

·
Registered
190 Posts
From my experiance putting my MII kit in my 39,I would suggest getting the body back on before you do any more than tack in the new crossmember.Ifound that I had to move mine back about 1" from origional front axle centerline.I tacked it in,put wheels on it then put the fenders back on to see that the tires were centered in the wheelwells.1" of correction made a big difference.I then pulled it all apart again, and body off to weld it completely. Jim.

·
Hotrodders.com Moderator
2,854 Posts
jcarter said:
From my experiance putting my MII kit in my 39,I would suggest getting the body back on before you do any more than tack in the new crossmember.Ifound that I had to move mine back about 1" from origional front axle centerline.I tacked it in,put wheels on it then put the fenders back on to see that the tires were centered in the wheelwells.1" of correction made a big difference.I then pulled it all apart again, and body off to weld it completely. Jim.
This is true for many of the older cars, rear ends don't seem to be lined up much better. Expect to shuffle both front and rear on your 41.

·
Stuck in the 30's
120 Posts
dinger said:
This is true for many of the older cars, rear ends don't seem to be lined up much better. Expect to shuffle both front and rear on your 41.
Amen !! to both dinger and jcarter. I bought a MII front end from Fatman Fab followed the specific directions for my 36 Chevy and the front end would have been an inch and a half too far forward.

The rear end and therefore the tires, on the 36 Chevy were not centered, in the rear fenders, in the stock location. The rear was mounted forward of the center of the fender.

I didn't remove the body until both front and rear ends were permanently located. But hey that's the fun of building from the ground up... :mwink:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
41 tudor wheel base

Hey guys, thanks a lot!! You probably saved me countless hours of rebuild! This is my first effort on a Rust Bucket rebuild street rod. All my past exp. was on muscle cars and drag machines. We're currently in the process of restoring another 70s era Jungle Jim funny car, we did the CKC Vega last year. One of these days, when it gets too cold to work, I'll post some pictures for those of you that might be interested.

Thanks again,
Chip

·
Registered
30 Posts
Old Farts said:
... We're currently in the process of restoring another 70s era Jungle Jim funny car, we did the CKC Vega last year. One of these days, when it gets too cold to work, I'll post some pictures for those of you that might be interested.

Thanks again,
Chip
That would be cool. Amazing hearing the renewed interest in not only restoring but running those cars. Does bring back memories for sure.

-Stephen

1 - 7 of 7 Posts