Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what should i do? i'm new in car building. i wanted something different than the norm.so , i went and brought a Chrysler 1941 royal 2 door.and thats what i got not the norm or parts! The interior needs a lot of work! well all work seats,dash,liner,carpet.The floor is good, no rust ,the body is straight,needs paint. Needs glass. rubber, and new tires. the car runs on its 6 flathead. So,should I dump a lot of money into it? Or should i sell it and start with something else? I want my car to be a daily driver. I got the car for $2000, i'm starting to feel i bit more than i can chew! thanks ! any feedback would be great.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Do you really like this car? Do you know what you wanna do with it?
If you really like it and have an idea in your head what you want it to look like then why sell it?
It might take some time, even years, but work on small things at a time. Start fixing up the interior a bit and get it street legal. Once you can drive it on the streets that's half the exitment of building a rod right there. Then you can slowly work on the other things, on the side you can build up an engine and give the car a new paint job. How much money do you wanna put into it? Build it like YOU want it, not like other people think looks good.

Mike

·
Premium Member
8,454 Posts
You are looking at a BIG project there. Any rod buildup will take at least a year and a half if you mostly DIY and have a day job. Also, since it is an off brand, there will be a ton more custom parts building than for a belly button Ford or Chevy which you can literally build out of a catalog. Finally, even if you mostly DIY and watch your pennies, it will cost a minimum $15,000 to $20,000 for a quality rod. The vast majority of project cars end up as unfinished garage stuffers. Don't want to throw cold water on your dreams, just laying out the facts.

All that being said, there isn't any 'bad' rod material out there. A hot rod is a personal piece of art that is built to satisfy one person - the builder. If that car spins your prop, by all means go for it. However, if you are more concerned with resale value, you need to build a Ford roadster with Boyd's wheels, billet everything, pastel paint job, 9" Ford rear end, and 350/350 drive train. Ultimately boring but the facts are, they resell the best.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
if i could, i'd be another jay leno! I never seen a rod or custom 1941 royal. are they that "off brand"? I just don't want to dump a lot of money then can't sell it because its off brand. because i dont thing this is going to be my last ride!im not in it to make money. Just want to have a sick ride! i cant even put an engine because of the steering column. what to do? or what to use for door panels. Does anyone know of off brand sites or catalogs ?

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
My take on it is this. If you like, then do it!
I never worry much about what others think about my ride. Its your money, so go for it if it really turns ya on. Roddin is roddin and Im glad everyone likes different things. HG:thumbup:

·
Premium Member
8,454 Posts
cakethetake said:
if i could, i'd be another jay leno! I never seen a rod or custom 1941 royal. are they that "off brand"? I just don't want to dump a lot of money then can't sell it because its off brand. because i dont thing this is going to be my last ride!im not in it to make money. Just want to have a sick ride! i cant even put an engine because of the steering column. what to do? or what to use for door panels. Does anyone know of off brand sites or catalogs ?
From what you have said, I would shy away from this car. Since you don't want to lose a lot of money, will have other rides after this, and are a novice, this isn't the car for you. There are precious few parts for anything but the usual bellybutton Fords and Chevys. You will literally need to build almost every part from scratch. Until very recently, there was little in after market parts even for more popular off-brands like my Willys. And anything you break is virtually unavailable. Wrecked sheet metal will sideline the car indefinitely.

You won't recoup your investment in any hot rod you build from scratch and for an off brand like this you are looking at a few 10s of cents on the dollar.

Finally, you aren't even sure you have the temperament to finish a car. It looks fairly easy and romantic now but rest assured you will invest the better part of a year and a half of 10hr days of most of your spare time to finish. As I said there are thousands of unfinished rods in garages from people who found the task too daunting.

For a first car, I would look for something like a 80% finished '32 coupe or roadster that will give you a good feeling of what it takes to do a rod but something that you can finish and can recoup a higher fraction of your investment.

There aren't many '41 Royals around because they weren't that popular when they first came out and they never had a revival like the Willys did in 60s drag racing to convert them from ugly duckling to swan status. Most got crushed, 'cause they had zero value, except for nostalgic value 'cause Grandpa drove it for 70 years. They haven't improved that much even now except the don't get crushed just out of respect for their age. Resale market will be minuscule.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.