Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
caprice

ay whats up homes i have the 82 coupe and i kno da 84 caprice is the car u need but u need the whole thing kus ull hav 2 pul a grip of **** u kan use any oldsmobile v-8 just be carefull ese b 4 u start anything good luck with ur caddy dreamz!!

·
Member - AMC/Rambler "guru"
1,848 Posts
The HT4100 has a different bolt pattern than the Olds engine used in some Caddys. If you keep the original transmission I think you're stuck with a later HT4100 or a 4.5L model, which is essentially the same engine that's bored out and all of the problems the early models had corrected. My understanding is the HT4100 had lots of early problems, but after about three years they were solved -- except the fact that they were used in cars that were way to big for them. That's why some Caddys used an Olds engine. An 86 or later model should be pretty reliable. The 4.5L was introduced in 88, and a 4.9L version in 91. The 4.5 was made through 1992, the 4.9L through 1996. 86-89 big cars (Fleetwood and Brougham) used the Olds 307, 90-92 a Chevy 305, and 93-96 a Chevy 350 (also optional in 91). The HT series should all use the same bolt pattern, so swapping one of those would be easiest. If you use an Olds or Chevy engine you'll need to swap the transmission also, and may need to modify some engine and trans mounts. At least mounts are available from Cadillac or the junk yard.

Check out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cadillac_V8_engine. Check Wikipedia for historic info on ALL engines! Also take a look at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_GM_bellhousing_patterns.

·
Registered
5 Posts
what motor and trany is better 4 my 82 coupe the oldsmobile 350 0r the caprice 350 as far as power goes. bekus i want a reliable car, but that will burn just flooring it a bit and respectively i dont want 2 do 500 c.i.d. kus of the gas prices down here. so if anyone can tell me a year and model i shud get and any tech advice you guys can offer it would be greatly appreciated i've had my car in storage 4 almost two years and i cant wait any longer i love these cars every model holds its own!!! thanx

·
Registered
5 Posts
we'll u kno that sounds good but do u kno if i can use the same trany i have or will i have 2 put the entire drive train im thinking i will have to kus of all the balls a 500 has. sinnce the 500 would be a gas hog is it possible to put a two banger carb on that bad boy thanx 4 da reply bro

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the same Problems I have a 82 caddy it had the Ht4100 in it I bought a 1976 caddy and it came with the 500 c.i.d engine and Transmission and i was wondering if i can but this engine in a 82 caddy.

·
Old(s) Fart
6,016 Posts
stankin lankin said:
i was wanting to know if anyone knew what engine would be a good swap for my 82 cadillac , instead of the stock 4100
Let's start with fundamental question - WHAT model Caddy? If it's FWD, you're stuck with the transaxle, which uses the metric 60 degree motor bolt pattern. If you do have a FWD, consider swapping a 4.9 Caddy or a 3800SC Buick. There are also some 5.3 liter LS-series motors with the metric bolt pattern. These were used in FWD transverse installations like the Bonneville.

If you have a RWD Caddy, these came with factory installed small block Olds and small block Chevy motors. Get all the brackets and the matching trans and it's a bolt-in.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 1982 deville it is Rwd yea its the small block. I bought a 1977 cadlliac engine its the 500 c.i.d.I dont know if the rebuild the stock or just swap, but i have to change alot of the wiring and its more time and money so if you can give me some advise it would help me alot.

·
Hates: Liver. Loves: Diesel
6,313 Posts
The RWD full-size caddys (B/D body) are all ready to accept a 500 with minor mods. The D body (fleetwood etc) is basically a B body with a longer wheelbase. You can pretty easily swap any GM V8 into it.

This is rough since I can't remember all of it with certainty, but all 71-up chevys, all 64-up BOP, and all 67-up caddy full size have basically the same frame and chassis for the full-size RWD.

So, an 82 Caddy with the 4100 should be ready to swallow a rear-sump 500 with some creative engine mounts. I put a 500 in my 66 Bonneville using a piece of 2x6" angle welded to the crossmember and mounts from a 349/409 from a Pickup.

·
Registered
948 Posts
82 coupe said:
we'll u kno that sounds good but do u kno if i can use the same trany i have or will i have 2 put the entire drive train im thinking i will have to kus of all the balls a 500 has. sinnce the 500 would be a gas hog is it possible to put a two banger carb on that bad boy thanx 4 da reply bro
Stop hijacking and start your own thread. bro

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.