Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can anybody tell me how they make a 420 ci smallblock chevy? It is a 400 smallblock bored .030 over with 3.875 stroke. What has a 3.875 stroke?
thanks,
rich

·
Registered
40 Posts
I think you could regrind and weld the stock crank off center to get the longer stroke, or you could order a custom crank (probly the best bet).speed-o-motive carriers them, although I have never delt with them.

I think you would have a hard time putting a big block crank in a small block :D

[ May 21, 2002: Message edited by: jeff of nc ]</p>

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
A 420 chevy small block is a 400 block bored .030 over and using a 3.875 rod.
(you can make a 426 sb by boring .060 but thats mighty much in a 400)

the pistons and crank are custom pieces.

paw engines sells a kit with: block, crank, rods, pistons, cam, rings and chain for 3695usd. which might sound like a lot. but iss your choice of cams and you can substitute or delete parts to get the package you want

id say go with it, and get a set of motown 220, race heads @495uds a piece, they flow huge and handles .700 lift. add a roler cam and your on your way to 600 hp for less than 9 bucks per pony

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hey duece do you know where i can find that kit on the net. I don't have that catalog even though i need it. What is special with the pistons and crank, can i buy just the crank and pistons?
thanks
rich

·
Registered
40 Posts
try the speed-o-motive link above, there catalog lists a crank, H-beams, pistons and rings for $1995 Only thing I dont like are the pistons 11.4:1 with 76cc heads, but I'm sure the would swap them.
did I mention its all fordged?

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
the paw engines have the following web address: www.pawengineparts.com
and phone 818-678-3000. id call them up and discuss what you need. they even sell a remanufactured standard bore block.. they are nice people. good luck with it.

Regards Jakob

1 - 7 of 7 Posts