Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm building a 67 Chevelle with a 427. I've got full length Hooker Headers on it and I am having some clearance issues with the spark plug wires. I've tried shorter plugs, different angled wires and I still seem to be having a issue with the cylinder 6 plug wire. At best I've got maybe 1/16" clearance from the pipe using a shorter plug and 60 degree wire. Just wondering if anyone else has ran into this issue and has hopefully found a fix.

Thanks

·
Registered
12,338 Posts
small block or BB? Chevelles usually have lots of room? You are using short plugs and angle boots and a sock?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No sleeves at the moment, my concern is that the boot on the wire is actually making contact with the header, or very close (within 1/16" of an inch). If I put a sock on it, It would probably be touching the header.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Go to Team Chevelle to try and find a fix. From what I have seen there is no fix and different brands are no better. You can take it to an exhaust shop and rework the tube but that's big $$$.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Why not just go to 90 degree plug wires? The 60 works well for most applications, but I had some clearance issues on my 454, and went to 90 degree. Lots of clearance now. I also was running heat sleeves, but still found the direct transfer through the wire and sleeve touching made them get too hot over time. Now I still use the sleeves, but nothing is even close now.
I'm using Moroso Ultra 40 race wires #73690. About $69 and they are sleeved boots on both ends, so low resistance and durable with the sleeves too.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts