Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Not Considered a Senior Member
10,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know the horsepower and torque specs to these engines?
I can find only little information about them being I`m guessing because they`re not very popular unless you plan to make a monster cubic inch stroker out of it. How much torque can be made with one of these with a few mods? In a future project I`m building something that`s going to require around 450 to 500 ft lbs of torque. Can the 427T do this with a RV cam, better heads, 9.5:1 compression, headers and a decent intake?

·
Registered
9,050 Posts
These engines have HEAVY 4 ring low compression pistons in them. To replace them with decent pistons you will also need +.400 rods. These costs alone stop most people. Yes a big torque motor can be made. Just costs money. A 454 from a mid seventy-eighties pickup is cheaper.

Street type intakes are hard to find. You can use intake spacers and a slip ring distrib. But, spacers invariably leak and the distribs are expensive.

·
Registered
117 Posts
i have to aggre with bob. they are better suited for 500+ cubic inch motors. they are very good blocks, but cost more to build being a tall deck.if you already have the block, i would use it myself, but i would at least put in a 454 crank or bigger.

·
Not Considered a Senior Member
10,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I know what there all about and etc. I just wanted basic info on`em as in a future project what I`m looking to do will need alot of low end torque so horsepower isn`t as important. This is going to be a heavy vehicle, around 10,000 pounds. I`ll likely stick with my original plan and go with a caddy 500 with better rods and valve train. Thanks guys.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.