Hot Rod Forum banner

427 Tall deck

7K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  NEW INTERIORS 
#1 ·
This is my first post and I'm hoping you guys can help me. I have a 84 Chevy K20 that I am in the process of building for street and stock pulling. I want the truck to appear as ''STOCK'' as possible. I just recently purchased a 427 tall deck short block that I plan to go through and freshen up. hat all can you guys tell me about the power and torque capabilities of a stock 427TD with some work? Later down the road I plan to stroke this motor to a 496. any advice for me will be appreciated. I would like to get as much torque and hp out of the 427 as possible staying with the stock rotating assembly for now.

thanks and I hope you guys can help this "new guy"

#2 ·
I would not invest much into a high performance build using a GM tall deck.If you want serious power,consider buying a good block like Dart big "M". This block can be built out to 598 inches using low deck parts. There are quite a few used 540s around. All of these engines 540-598 have more potential in horse power per cubic inch than the smaller bore 454/496. If its just a mild build the 427 tall deck will work fine.

#3 ·
I suppose it depends on your definition of a mild build. this truck is mostly for street and just some stock pulling. I want to tune the current 427 any ideas on hp I should be able to get from it with a cam and lifters and roller rockers for now then later down the road build a mild 496 with roughly 600 hp

#6 ·
A tall deck hot rod BBC with stock pistons ? You do realize these things are four ring, HEAVY flat top HEAVY cast, terrible, HEAVY . The stockers in trucks had a rev limit of about 3500 rpm and STILL HAD FAILURES,,

Even with the smallst chamber heads the c/r will be less than 8.5 to 1.

have built many of thse engins and the minimum requirement should be a .400 longer rod and a three ring piston. Anything else is a waste of time and money.:spank:

#8 · (Edited)
Ran my Tall deck well over 3500 many many times and NEVER came apart once.. I had 18.5 tires under the back end of my 57 chevy and 320 gears, It would fry the tires at 45 mph,, Would I do it again.. Sure if I had to,,That car was very fun to drive,, And I DROVE IT HARD !!!!!

This mark on the black top should let you know how well they can be...We marked it off at well over 150 feet before the car got side ways..:D

Attachments

#9 ·
I did take a very hard look at those tall deck 427 GM blocks.In fact Techinspector 1 told me about a build formula he has for them.I did alot of research on them for a race app only in my Malibu.What stop me from pursuing farther is the thought of investing money into for a "all the eggs in one basket" situation.All most every part only fits a tall deck and those are getting somewhat rare where guys think they have the crown jewels when selling one.The cross over parts are not there.Now I am the kind of guy that wants to build up to the c.i. engine I want and have crosses from a smaller engine I was running to the bigger engine that I built in a short block.That way I have a freshen up short block in a engine stand in the shop I could go to in mid season if needed.There is no way I was going to pay a king's ransom to do that with is more or less a one off build tall deck's 427 two short blocks.I'm in the vein of 454 short blocks with cross over parts from one to the other.And there is still a plenty of 454's out there reasonably priced.

So my advice is be very careful in your decision on a GM tall deck.From headers to valve train to rods,etc are only for another tall deck 427 and do overs are expensive if needed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.