Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently good 429 cadillac engine for 200 bucks and I want to build a high performance street/strip engine out of it and put it into an s-10. Yeah I know it would be a lot easier and cheaper to use a chevy small block but I'm going off the beaten path because I want something different. My questions are- #1- where do I find some high performance parts for this engine? #2 what vehicle would have motor mounts to use for this swap? I need to find a good high lift cam with a lopey idle and all forged components for the bottom end. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated

·
Hotrodders.com moderator
9,581 Posts
Try these guys..

Cad Company 8.2 Litre Performance - Cadillac 500 Performance Parts

Motor mounts will be custom there are adapters for the trans but it will be easier and better to use the th400 with the cad bolt pattern and a proper stall converter..May take some serious excavations to the inner sheet metal in way of the engine compartment.

Sam

·
Registered
213 Posts
You are going to spend $20k to fit that caddy motor in an s-10 and get blown away by some kid with a small block in his s-10 that spent $5k. Cool idea though I would love to see it. Why not sell the 429 and get a norstar engine. You can probably get a whole car with the norstar for under 1,ooo

·
WFO
5,030 Posts
I recently good 429 cadillac engine for 200 bucks and I want to build a high performance street/strip engine out of it and put it into an s-10. Yeah I know it would be a lot easier and cheaper to use a chevy small block but I'm going off the beaten path because I want something different. My questions are- #1- where do I find some high performance parts for this engine? #2 what vehicle would have motor mounts to use for this swap? I need to find a good high lift cam with a lopey idle and all forged components for the bottom end. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated
Here is a page that has a lot of info that will be useful to you. Several Cadillac engine parts sources are listed at the bottom of the page.

Good luck.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It looks like all that they have on the link you sent me for a 429 cadillac, all they have is 472 and 500 parts. The only 429 parts they have is stock overhaul kits. I'm placing a call to see if they have anything in stock that's not listed. Thank you so much for your help with my issue. Great work

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well if it will move big heavy caddy pretty quick and cruise at 75 and 80 mph in a heavy car like that, it should be like strapping a rocket to an s-10 and just about twist the chassis in two with the neck snapping torque it has.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I wonder if I could mount a front wheel drive TH-425 to it and mount it into the bed? If I could, that would move all the wieght over the rear tires and would be a blast as a wheelie machine!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I will be sure to post pics. I do have a question. Will anything from the 472/500 engines interchange with the 429? I mean I have my doubts but its worth asking

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I think the easiest way to mount the engine in the rear of the truck would be to cut the frame behind the cab and cut the frame out of the front of a caddy at the firewall and with a good bit of fab skills, weld the front of that piece to the truck where I cut the frame behind the cab. Then I have to align the wheels and weld the steering of the caddy and run my plumbing. The only thing is I have to add some weight to the front to still be able to control it when it sets down after a wheelie

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I called cad power and they have all kinds of high performance parts. They tech guy said the bottom end is forged and should hold 450 hp with no problem, and a good 75 shot of spray. They also have several great cams to choose from to really bring it to life. The stock compression is 10.5:1 so with a little head work, a good hydraulic cam, and an aftermarket intake, that 429 should be a force to be reckoned with on the street.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Wow! I bet that was a quick little beast. If you need parts for early caddys, call cad power. The staff is very knowledgable and will point you to what you need.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.