Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have been bitten. LOL!
I am planning my next build for the truck already. Truck weighs 4020 with me in it. 3.90 Tru-Trac rear. CalTracs, Fat Aluminum Driveshaft, Built 700R4 with FTI Converter flashing to about 3400 with current combo. 200cc Intake runner, Aluminum headed 406, 750 Brawler, Dual plane intake, 1 5/8 Full length Headers going into 3inch collectors, XPipe, 3 chamber Chokemaster Mufflers, 3 inch mandrel bent pipes all the way out the back.
Valvetrain is full roller with 237/243 @.050 .583 .564 lift and 10.9 static compression.

The truck runs really nice right now. I can cruise in 4th with converter locked up, and even below 2000 rpm there is no bucking or hesitation, it just goes effortlessly... Also went 12.7 in the 1/4 mile with carb right out of the box. It probably goes a little better now that I have been playing with it. It runs right up to 6200, Thats just where it shifts at, and it feels right so I wont mess with the governor now.

I,m looking at the Skippy White kit that comes with the dart block, and its looking pretty tempting. I like the fact it has Forged Pistons, and a stronger block. I am also looking at the ProFiler 210cc heads. I called Chad Spier and he recommended 195s as cast, so I asked about the 210s and he said they would be good too. I will probably keep it around 10.5:1. And will definitely get recommendations for a Hydraulic Roller later, Just wanted to know what you guys think about a 434 on the street? Truck is a cruiser, with occasional trips to the track.

·
More for Less Racer
20,941 Posts
definitely go to aftermarket block.
I don't think the 30 extra CID is worth much on the street.
Get the Profiler 210.
I thought the same thing, took the words right out of my mouth.

I'm curious why White's is boring it to 4.155" right off the bat?...I'b leave it at 4.125" and 427" rather than waste bore material on another 7 cubes

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So if I go with the better ProFilers, and a cam to match and even keep it to the 427, Im thinking I can squeeze quite a bit more than I have now. {maybe another 80 ft pounds or more?}
My financial situation has changed since I planned my last build and Im really wishing I did things different. I can sell what I have now, and get what I really want. Or should I just run this one for awhile? I'm sure it will stay together, just wishing I had a little more and I dont want to spray this motor to get it...

·
Registered
4,260 Posts
434 is going to give you more torque. But wow the ft/lbs per dollar sure are low. Your talking about $7000 or more here.

I think you might be better off lightening the truck further.

I had a 96 c1500 sc,sb and that weighed 5040 in stock trim with a full tank.
Bit of aluminum replacing the steel some other light weight items and 4000 would be easy.

If you take this further with a tube chassis, aluminum steering/suspension, lexan back window, lightweight steering column, etc the results will be substantial.

This is a game of pounds and 1/2 pounds adding up.

But $5000 focused into weight reduction/relocation is going to pay off better then a $7000 engine with a lower peak torque with slightly higher numbers.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
434 is going to give you more torque. But wow the ft/lbs per dollar sure are low. Your talking about $7000 or more here.

I think you might be better off lightening the truck further.

I had a 96 c1500 sc,sb and that weighed 5040 in stock trim with a full tank.
Bit of aluminum replacing the steel some other light weight items and 4000 would be easy.

If you take this further with a tube chassis, aluminum steering/suspension, lexan back window, lightweight steering column, etc the results will be substantial.

This is a game of pounds and 1/2 pounds adding up.

But $5000 focused into weight reduction/relocation is going to pay off better then a $7000 engine with a lower peak torque with slightly higher numbers.
I like the way you talk. I have knocked quite a bit off of it so far. But I've been tossing around the idea of a fiberglass front bumper and Hood.
I have moved the battery to the back where my saddle tank used to be on the passenger side. I've also put 13-gallon gas tank out of a 65 Mustang between the rear rails behind the axle. Also removed the fender liners, and replace them with plastic ones that are light as a feather. The truck weighed 4020 with me in it before I put this motor in it. That was with iron heads, and now I have aluminum. So it very well could be 3900 some-odd pounds now. I kind of forgot about the weight issue until just now. I know last time I started putting it on a diet I could really tell a difference!
There's a guy called fiberglass boy pretty close to me, I will give him a call and see what he can do for me. Thanks again as always!

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Heads make power, not cid.
With really good heads, the more you open the valve, the more torque you will make. Look at 18 degree stuff if you want big power. Use 1.8 rockers.
I would love to have the profiler heads, and a cam that will let them rip! But now where I'm at with a stock block, I think it would be better just to go ahead and go with SHP block if I'm going to do any upgrades to this engine that's already finished.
IM TORN!

·
Registered
4,426 Posts
A 210 head isn't enough on your 406 let alone a 427 or 434. A Chad Speier CNC head would work, but not much less. A 227 or 245 would not be too big. Big headers as well - 1-3/4 would be the minimum. Perhaps someone can chime in about a carb, but I'd say 850 would be a necessity. Lose the hydro roller as well - solid roller would be a better match.

Nitrous on top of hypers - you're tune better be good. Not saying it isn't and you can't make it correct, but one mistake and you'll be the 1st to know. I wouldn't try more than a 75 shot, but I'm not a carb tuner either.

·
Registered
5,225 Posts
Personally? I wouldn't build anything more than a medium-hot 383 in a stock block. Theres zero upside. A 396 in a stock block is possible; but I wouldn't do it.

My old man finally has a 383 in his 55 after years of building bigger/badder motors for other people. The reality is; you only have so long to do what you want. Youll never ever be 85 and look back fondly at NOT doing it.
If you want an aftermarket 427+ SB...do it.

I highly recommend a speed-talk.com HotPass, and see if you can beat the price from a vendor there, along with a custom roller cam. Speier also recognizes the Hot Pass discount; but I don't remember what he offers. Mike Jones (Jones Cams) runs the site and has great valvetrain discounts as well.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.