Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently had my 440 fail, I was not in it at the time so I don't know about oil pressure/water temp at the time. Pulled blower/top end off but have not pulled heads yet. besides the obvious damage, there is also water in the valley so head gasket also for sure.

My question is what are likely causes? and what else should I be looking for? Thanks!

Attachments

·
Administrator
18,647 Posts
Broke a rocker arm, may have dinged the piston with the valve. I cant see head gasket from that, unless it broke part of the head somehow.

·
http://www.warsprints.com
2,024 Posts
I see both keepers and another piece of metal next to the keeper on the right, what is that? Definately would have to check the piston as I can almost guarantee they met. Check for bent pushrods and condition of lifters. You will probably have to replace that valve. The water in the valley is weird. There has to be a crack in something. Is there water in the oil pan?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The pieces that were laying in the head were what was left of the retainer on the spring. The valve shot up (with a boost from the piston) through the head, broke the rocker arm and broke the spring and exploded the retainer.

So I got the head off and found some more out:(... It is the #4 cylinder and when i pulled the spark plug out, i got a nice surprise of about a gallon of antifreeze out of the spark plug hole, then the rest came out when I disconnected the header from the exhaust pipe.

Well, my wishful thinking went down the crapper when I saw the piston...Maybe some JB weld and it will be right as rain...:thumbup:

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
As far as I can tell, the hole lines up "good enough" to point to the valve stem:confused: I haven't pinned the cause, and probably wont be able to, but at this point it is probably due to retainer getting tired of holding on and let go..

WOW, this is going to be expensive..:thumbup:

·
Administrator
8,552 Posts
I would say the head gasket started to weep (small leak) into the combustion chamber. Valve most likely stuck in guide as a result of having the oil film "steamed off" the stem. Piston kissed it,forcing towards closed position, like a hammer, and lets keepers drop out when that happened.
I couldnt see the keepers very well. Are the lands and grooves still OK ?
If the lands sheared off, then that would be the cause of the bent valve.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.