Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 440 truck engine (out of a winni) from 1973 - low compression from what I have read 8:1 approx - 346 casting heads (88cc)

Engine looks real good only 60,000 original miles

It will be going into a tube buggy and I am looking for good low end torque with a descent mid range power

I want some opinions on my piston and cam choice

I plan on running l2295f (Flatlander Racing - TRW Chrysler Pistons pistons which are dome pistons. From what I have read they should bump up the compression to approx 10:1. Prpoane likes compression.

I am looking at running a comp cam

21-220-4 250XE 21-220-4(Single Bolt) - Xtreme Energy

It says I can't run stock springs with that cam - could anyone recomend springs.

Any advise and opinions would be appreciated

thanks

·
Registered
27 Posts
bsfor

1 don't run propane, it's hard on engines.

it takes big tanks and no one can smoke or

make a campfire within 50 feet of your dune buggy.

2 get your parts from Mancini Racing or

some other Mopar Performance dealer,

it makes things simple to do it right the first time.

have a nice day!

·
Hotrodders.com moderator
9,581 Posts
Pay no attention to the kid..Propane works just fine..and your cam and piston choice will be fine..just some tuning will be needed to run the propane as well as the proper modified carb..

Sam

·
Registered
27 Posts
hello there one more time

L2355F TRW Forged pistons are the 10 to 1 pistons.

that's from memory.

a propane conversion set up is made by Impco

that used to be in Gardena or somewhere.

propane makes the valves run hotter.

one more time, do you know anything about this

or do you just like to play with the keyboard?

have a nice day!

·
Administrator
18,646 Posts

that's from memory.

have a nice day!
Strike 2..............:pain:

·
Listen and Learn
1,809 Posts

that's from memory.

have a nice day!
just a fyi mouthing off to a moderator is a good way to get booted.

·
Administrator
8,550 Posts
Hey Cali kid. You shouldnt open your mouth without your brain engaged...in which case you would know that you dont have a clue what your talking about.
Back in the 80s I had a boss that ran propane in an F250 with a 400 m.
It never had any problems and ran 180,000 miles before he sold it to another guy.
Propane is cleaner on an engines internals, wont dilute motor oil or wash the cylinders dry and scuff the rings.It really is BETTER for an engine than Gasoline. The ONLY thing is you need is to use hardened seats in the heads , but by the time the 80s rolled around , everything had them anyhow.
Honda sells a fully converted civic from the factory that runs on propane As a brand new car. Many fleets use them as it pays them to have there own fueling station and run them as a fleet.
As far as saftey, propane has a aromatic agent added so in the event of a leak, it is easy to distinguish a leak. If a propane tank explodes, it would be from excess pressure, due to heat most likely. If the tank was leaking and the leak was burning, most people would have the sense to get waaaay back. How many times have you seen a propane tank burning?
People who are careless with propane are the ones who have the problems...like filling rusty, outdated, untested tanks, or tanks that failed an inspection. Like with any thing, faulty equiptment will cause trouble , you just have to use your head and keep your equiptment in good shape.

A 440 on propane.....all day long man.

·
Registered
12,338 Posts
propane is safe and has a good delivery rate. There is a big block chevelle close to here that runs dual mixers and a turbo with amazing results. The propane doesnt ping like gasoline.The loss of power is due to the lower BTUs in propane,so throw some compression at it and some timing too.
BTW,I use a flame in my BBQ and the propane tank sits underneath the burner,thats less than 50 feet away.

·
hold my beer and watch this!
166 Posts
bsfor

1 don't run propane, it's hard on engines.

it takes big tanks and no one can smoke or

make a campfire within 50 feet of your dune buggy.

2 get your parts from Mancini Racing or

some other Mopar Performance dealer,

it makes things simple to do it right the first time.

have a nice day!
I drove a forklift for 6 yrs and smoked cigars while driving and never blew up :pimp:

·
Registered
134 Posts
Propane has octane of 110 (c3h8) molecule

btu output around 91,000 -84000 btu gasoline has about 112000 btus

so your going to use more no daught but you knew that.

Your pistons last time I bought a set of TRW they were heavy weight forged

able to handle NO2,

Your cam is mild 110 lobe seperation is great for big block mopars.

What would work a good set of heads,the heads on the motor home engine

has steam holes for extreme duty and are not necessary,a good set of Eldabrocks aluminium heads would work.

One main thing that always should be done to a BBM is up grade the oil pan and windtray.

High volume oil pump,a must.Pick the RPM you want to run yore motor at
and build for that rpm.:D

·
Why be normal?
122 Posts
My employer in the mid 90's had six ford vans, 6 cyl. They were dual fuel (propane and gasoline). The propane tank was mounted in the vehicle and we didn't have any problems with these vans. Also in the past 5 years we started to get quite a few all propane fueled vans. Just my 2 cents worth.

·
Registered
7,528 Posts
I was watching on Jay Leno's garage, he did a bit on a guys car called the Magnolia Special, which is a hand built 30's race car inspired roadster. 4.2L Jag 6 runs on natural gas. Little more octane than propane but there pretty much the same.

Propane is popular with the fuel company service vehicles near me. Vans, trucks ect...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hey guys thanks for the help

I got the motor torn down and everything looks great. the crank is in good shape and I think I have followed everyone's advise except I haven't got the recommended oil pump yet but I will and I was wondering? A 73 wouldn't have hardened valve seats and this thing is not a daily driver. Driven about 2 times a month. are the hardened valve seats a absolute necessity on propane? If so what does something like that cost to have a machine shop do?

·
Registered
134 Posts
The Mopar (Chrysler, Dodge, Plymouth) B series V8 engines: 350, 361, 383, and 400

This should help you.My 906 heads had to have seats put in.

If you dont the valve will pound itself into the head and that ruins the head.

I would get the compression up on the motor using propane with the high

octane level is good.too low of compression and it becomes a boat anchor

RB blocks are very heavy try to use aluminium when you can,heads water pump,intake.

Since your putting it off road make sure to use a windtray and 1/2hemi

oil pick up,so not to starve the pump.

Full groove main bearings clevite 77 the best.

A bulletproof 440 bottom end is easy if you follow simple things.:thumbup:

found this on propane engines,

Engine & fuel engineering - Max compression ratio for propane

Note:The 2 thread are not my own nor am I responsible they are sited reference .

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.