Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
45 lbs+ electric fuel pump

I have a TPI system which I am installing in my Chevy 1984 C-10, my question is if some one knows about an electric fuel pump , let say from a 1996 Tahoe, Zafari or any other, that could snap where my sending unit actually is. My tank is at truck left side right beneath front of bed. Thanks for any info you can give me.

·
Old(s) Fart
6,014 Posts
cu42 said:
I have a TPI system which I am installing in my Chevy 1984 C-10, my question is if some one knows about an electric fuel pump , let say from a 1996 Tahoe, Zafari or any other, that could snap where my sending unit actually is. My tank is at truck left side right beneath front of bed. Thanks for any info you can give me.
The easiest thing for you to do is to get the sender from a 1987-1991 R/V series truck (old body style pickups) with TBI and swap out the fuel pump for one from a TPI car, such as AC Delco P/N EP241 or Carter P74006. This sender bolts directly into your tank but has the provision for the in-tank pump and wiring. The TBI pump only puts out about 18 PSI, but the two TPI pumps I listed put out the necessary 45 PSI.

·
Premium Member
2,370 Posts
Mid 90's Ford Rangers (I think with the 4cyl) used an in-line pump that provides enough flow and pressure for a TPI. Just a thought incase you can't locate a pump that will work in-tank.

·
Old(s) Fart
6,014 Posts
Siggy_Freud said:
Mid 90's Ford Rangers (I think with the 4cyl) used an in-line pump that provides enough flow and pressure for a TPI. Just a thought incase you can't locate a pump that will work in-tank.
There are lots of inline external pumps available. I used the aftermarket MSD unit on one EFI conversion. The problem with these pumps is that they are very loud. That's the main reason why the factories used the PITA in-tank pumps.

·
Premium Member
2,370 Posts
Yes, the pumps can be loud, but honestly over the sound of the engine and road noise, I never heard it aside from it priming as I started the engine. I wrapped a little rubber sleeve around where it mounted to help the noise level.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.