Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning a 496 stroker engine swap on my 1964 Impala SS. I am trying to figure out if I will have hood clearance issues. I'm using a brand new 454 block from GM, Edelbrock Vic Jr EFI intake manifold and a Holley Terminator X EFI. I've seen numerous posts of BBC swaps for 64 Impalas, but none that talk about hood clearance issues. Numerous people I've talked to about my project have asked if it will fit under the hood, so I'm getting a little worried. If anyone has any experience with this, your input, suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
14,052 Posts
The 64 impala optioned the W big block 409, dimensionally this is the same as the Rat block.

The Mystery Motor 396 through 454 is simply a redesign of the W motor 348 through 427 that essentially moved the combustion chamber out of the block with the head being a simple flat roof with valves to a head with the combustion chamber and splayed valves. This drove changes to the head deck angle of the W motor, different pistons and different counterweight masses of the crank. Otherwise these engines are pretty similar if not identical in major dimensions.

Bogie

·
True Hotrodder
1,582 Posts
I could have sworn I answered this question about a day ago. And I said the same basic thing that Bogie just did - the 348-409 motors are about the same size. I think the Edelbrock intake is a bit higher than the stock 348-409 4 bbl deal so motor mounts and chassis mounts being used are probably the deciding factor.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I could have sworn I answered this question about a day ago. And I said the same basic thing that Bogie just did - the 348-409 motors are about the same size. I think the Edelbrock intake is a bit higher than the stock 348-409 4 bbl deal so motor mounts and chassis mounts being used are probably the deciding factor.
Yes, I know the 409's are close to the same size, but the stock intake manifold on them was lower profile. I've heard that Corvette motor mounts are the lowest profile. I'd love to hear if you know specifics. In regards to the chassis mounts, are you suggesting putting in taller body mounts or to shim them in a sense to lift the body up higher off the frame? I wish I would have taken measurements from the motor mounts to the bottom of the hood before the body came off the frame. I was thinking if I had that measurement, I could add up the measurements of the block, intake, EFI and air cleaner and see how high it would be off the motor mounts.

·
True Hotrodder
1,582 Posts
No - I do not have any specific information.

As to the chassis mounts. There were differences between small block and big block chassis mounts. Big block mounts will often move the engine slightly forward and the driver's side mount will be taller. GM used some interlocking engine mounts at one time that required shorter chassis mounts. The point is that I do not know what you have in the '64 at this point but you might have options in mounting hardware that will help you out as far as hood clearance. And just because the chassis mounts come off of a Chevelle or C-10 doesn't mean you can't use them in the '64.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts