Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Riley
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dad and me rebuilt this 454 engine. I put it in and put water in it and right away noted a small drip. I think it could be coming from a bolt that goes into the water jacket. What is the proper way to seal that? Permitex Red thread sealer? FYI the pump gasket is new. So where is this leak coming from?

Attachments

·
Registered
698 Posts
FWIW
Try a little plumbers pipe joint compound on the bolts. I'm not certain that the bolts go into the waterjacket on a bbc like the water pump on a sbc, but I wouldn't be suprised if they did.
Let it set-up for a while before starting.
ssmonty
PS I took too long to post and didn't see the previous post. Forget what i said. Is the pump new?

·
Riley
107 Posts
Well happy 4th everyone. *****

Well I am working on the water leak today,now. I am wondering if the pump is bad. Thats not a new pump and it sat on there for 5 years during the build. Any ideas of where this thing is leaking or why will be reviewed. I will check back later. Thanks.

·
Riley
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Okay guys...so is there another water jacket bolt hole up from somewhere? i COULD HAVE SWORN THERE WAS ONE...THE BOLTS HOLDING THE POWER STEERING PUMP BRACKETS ON MAYBE? Maybe the alternator bracket? Alls I remember is that I used gaskets everywhere they were supposed to go. But yet.....I still have a constant drip.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Water pump

If that water pump sat for 5 years i would replace it . Probably seals or rear cover gasket leaking. The stock water pumps are fairly cheap, buy the heavy duty with AC model.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Put some food dye in the water(if its only water, no anti freeze), circulate the water to mix it up, pressurize the system with a radiator pressure tester(rent from Autozone or??). This will force the leak to flow more, making it easy to pinpoint the problem

Find out exactly where the leak is coming from. Fix THAT part. Could be thermostat, corner of intake/head seal, lower hose, waterpump.

Always diagnois the problem, it may take a little longer, but in the long run, knowing exactly where the problem is will save you time and money.
Learned that the expensive way when I first started working on my cars.

·
Riley
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I found the drip!

Well I was working on that truck today. I filled the radiator full of water, then went to work on some handles that are in the cab that "turn on" the hydraulic pump for the flatbed (its a wrecker). Then I had to go underneath to hook up the cable down there and low and behold...I found the drip. Its coming out of that hole on the bottom of the water pump. The seal must be going bad. We never replaced the pump...and it had been sitting dry for 5 years while we worked on the motor and the truck.

Well....mystery solved fellas. Thanks for all the imput. :welcome:

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.