Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I Am Building My First Big Block Hi-po Motor. I Would Like To Know If I Can Build A Good Strong 454 Motor That Some Times Will See Track Action, With A Stock Crank Shaft. I Know That A 1000 Horse Power Motor Needs A Forged Unit. But What Will A Cast Unit Stand As Far As Horse Power And Torque. I Want To Use Spare Parts That I Have Gotten Over Time, And As Many Parts That I Can Off Of The Old Motor. Also Can Any Good Power Be Found In Oval Port Heads

I Have A Complete 454 4 Bolt Main Complete Block With Oval Port Heads Stock Bore.

A New Set Of H-beam Eagle Rods With The Big Arp Bolts

A Good Set Of Ross Domed Pistons. For 6.385 Rod And 4.0 Stroke Crank. Used Not 1 Scratch On Them. 4.302 Bore, 1.395 Compression Hight.

Used 200 Shot Nitrous Kit Complete

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
thanks for the info 88. i have seen race cars do 9 sec. passes on all stock parts, oval port heads and quadrojet carbs. with some times a little help from nitrious. i just want to use what i have and spend the money where it needs to go. i dont have a hundred grand to build a car.

Attachments

·
Registered
547 Posts
I'm right in the middle of building basically the same motor,, if you look on this same section.. under the heading BBC head porting HELP, I have posted some interesting links there on the 781 heads,, flow charts, etc,, I just havn't had anyone give me any suggestions on how to do it yet,, :D
I went with the comp nitrious hyd, full roller cam,, with 2.25 valves.. .
http://www.maliburacing.com/ click on tech then BBC comparison of rec port vs oval port
Bill

·
Registered
158 Posts
I had a cast crank, stock rod 454 with JE pistons. I never had a problem except when I had a high volume pump and a 6 quart pan. Use a stock oil pump and use a good balancer like an ATI or Fluiddampner. I would spin this thing to 7800rpm. After awhile the caps started walking (it was a 2 bolt).

·
Hotrodders.com Moderator
2,783 Posts
crank

DO-NOT spend the money to cross drill that crank... For your application a cast crank will work just fine....A good grind and the oil holes chamfered and you good to go.

Keith

·
King of my Man-cave.
2,896 Posts
F-BIRD'88 said:
The 454 cast crank is pretty strong. The part that could use a upgrade is the oil holes. having the crank mains "crossdrilled" and all oil holes beveled will help the oiling to the rods at high rpm.
The open chamber oval port heads 781, 049 casting have tons of power potential. All they need is a good home porting and larger 2.19x 1.88" valves. once properly modded and ported they are 300+cfm capable good for well over 550hp.
watch your finished compression ratio if you're using 92 octane gas.
Cross-drilling is not recommended unless you are running a highly loaded diesel at low rpms. It will actually decrease oil to the rods at higher rpms.

Cross-drilling is done on Big Blocks today simply because some guys haven't made it into the 2000's without dragging outdated technology along.

K-star has it 100% correct.

tom

·
Get in, sit down, hang on
2,785 Posts
I should have mentioned it earlier, but I decided to put in a new Scat "9000 series" (P/N 910454) in my 454.

Mine needed to be turned, and the threads for the balancer were stripped out, too ... so the $300.00 CDN was a god deal for me.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.