Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Started my racecar up to let it run last night and the oil pressure at idle was around 10psi. I thought this was weird since the engine used to idle at around 50 psi on start up when I first put it in the car. The oil pressure will go up if you give it gas. I pulled the valve covers and noticed that the front four rockers had little to no oil on them. Am I crazy or is this a sure sign that I've got a spun bearing or that my bearing tolerance is too wide? I'm seriously considering pulling the engine out and going through it. I dont want to damage it more if something is going on. I plan on cutting open the oil filter to see if there is metal in it. Any advice you have would be appreciated this is my first engine build.

·
Registered
15,305 Posts
Often this is an indicator that the crankshaft bearings have widened their clearance. Whether that is rods, mains or both remains to be seen. This is a common failure of competition engines. High speed operation greatly accelerates bearing wear especially on engines that use external balance or are out of balance or lack a sufficiently adequate crankshaft damper.

There are other potential faults such as the pickup being loose and pulling air or the pump‘s bypass valve stuck open.

Continued operation is likely to damage some expensive parts, it’s time to dig into the cause.

Bogie

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Often this is an indicator that the crankshaft bearings have widened their clearance. Whether that is rods, mains or both remains to be seen. This is a common failure of competition engines. High speed operation greatly accelerates bearing wear especially on engines that use external balance or are out of balance or lack a sufficiently adequate crankshaft damper.

There are other potential faults such as the pickup being loose and pulling air or the pump‘s bypass valve stuck open.

Continued operation is likely to damage some expensive parts, it’s time to dig into the cause.

Bogie
Thank you. I was kinda figuring that. Sad thing is I've never made a pass in it. Just the break in and a few trips around the neighborhood.

·
More for Less Racer
20,932 Posts
I was going to say the same thing, change the filter.

I've seen at least one brand collapse inside and restrict flow....good flow from engine yesterday, change oil and fire up low pressure now, remove and replace filter and presto, pressure is back.

Bad filter was a Fram, replaced with a Wix. A buddy's 383, he called me all panicky and that was the outcome.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.