Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Is it a 350 Chevy or a 350 Pontiac we are talking about .
Pontiac's,Buick and olds all have different bell housing bolt patterns.

mike

·
Junkyard Kustoms
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
k

well i dont know what tranny it it its in a 79 firebird(301) and the 454 is in a gmc truck and has a th400 behind it

·
Registered
385 Posts
It all might fit in if it has the wright tail shaft length also don't let the 400 go if it is in a big truck like c series it should have the deep pan and better in sides.

mike

·
Registered
385 Posts
The c 60 series trucks have a deep oil pan on the trans from the factory and they have more clutch plates and something else that i can not think of wright now i think it is something to do with the amount of springs in side i forget.

mike

·
Junkyard Kustoms
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i see

i see do you know if it will bolt to the stock mounts or should we use the ones from the
truck?

·
Registered
385 Posts
I would think you are going to have to get mounts in fact i,am almost positive about that.

mike

·
"May the Schwartz be with you"
1,053 Posts
B-O-P (Buick Olds Pontiac)

Chevy has a different tranny bolt pattern than any other GM. A Buick, Olds, Pontiac or Cadillac transmission will not bolt to a Chevy engine.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Lonestar is dead on. The B O P bolt pattern is for old buick and pontiac which is not the same pattern as chev and gmc engines. There were some 200r4's made that had dual bolt patterns but only some. There were no 400's that had dual bolt patterns. In other words if you want to put a chev engine in it you need a tranny with a chev bolt pattern. The engine mounts will also be different.

·
Come Home Safe Soldier
846 Posts
If you are considering putting a big block in the firebird and you alrerady have a th400 why not install them as a unit?I would not want the th350 behind that engine.

·
"May the Schwartz be with you"
1,053 Posts
Go to the local Auto parts store, buy a set of frame side engine mounts for a 1979 Camaro.

Go to the scrap yard and draw or take a picture of where the mounts bolt in on a Camaro.

Go home, bolt the new mounts in the correct location on your Firebird, then take the 454 with trans and all out of the truck and bolt it into your Firebird.

A little time consuming but not a difficult job. The hard part comes later.

·
Shop Owner And Troll Hunter
2,643 Posts
Is your transmission a dual bolt pattern?

I have a 70 Pontiac Bonneville conv. with a 455 HO with a dual bolt pattern 400 turbo.

Troy

·
Junkyard Kustoms
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
th250/350

thats the tranny and itll bolt up but they will just die from tourqe here comes the th400 to save the day

1 - 19 of 19 Posts