Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
From the middle of the world
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What would be a starting number for the jets and rods for a Q-jet feeding a stock 454 truck engine?
Any other recomendations? I'm just swapping this motor in a 46 chevy.
thanks.
Augusto.

·
Registered
838 Posts
See if you can find a set of DA secondary metering rods or another thats close in size.

Look for an 800 cfm carb not the little 750.
Very easy to tell them apart by looking down primary venturi. The 800 will have a tiny bump protruding into venturi and 750 will be completely round and have smaller bore.

And get these books. I didnt know about the 2nd one so I might just have to buy one too.

http://www.amazon.com/Rochester-Carb-Hp014-Karen-Roe/dp/0895863014

http://www.amazon.com/Rebuild-Modify-Rochester-Quadrajet-Carburetors/dp/1932494189/ref=pd_bxgy_b_img_b/002-4691270-5240023

·
Registered
505 Posts
I have no idea if this is applicable, but I bought a 1973 QJet at a swap meet this spring that appeared to be original and unmolested. I looked up the carb number on some internet site and it was for a 454 Chevy.

It had 77 primary jets and 50B primary rods. The secondary rods were supposed to be DA but I could not read any lettering on the secondary rods.

If your carb is newer the setup might be different. Primary rods were shorter for QJets beginning in 1975, I think. I recommend you buy the new book by Cliff Ruggles on QJets.

John

·
From the middle of the world
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I already have the HP Books about rochester carburators, I was looking for the 850 cfm with no luck, I have a pair of mint condition q-jets from 350 engines, they have 69 jets due to the altitude here ( 6.600 feet ) I was looking for info in basic jetting and work from there, because I'm so high in the mountains maybe the 750 q-jet is enough, I race 125cc 2 stroke sudam go karts wich are the most powerful motors in the sport, and the smaller carbs give better results at this altitude, hope in cars it works the same, this will be a street machine anyway, all I want is leaving 200+ foot black lines in the pavement. ( cops here drive anemic chevy luv 4 door pickups, they will see only my tire smoke :D )
Please suggest all you guys feel I should know.
Thanks
Augusto.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts