Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Hammer and a torch
1,254 Posts
Mustangsaly... NO and NO... The 1 piece blocks are Gen V and they as I have said before are an animal to themselves... "Avoid"... The Vortec heads you asked about are Gen VI and are good but not as good as the Gen IV ovals (781/049 castings)... The Vortec`s do not respond to the larger valves and other differences just dont give the flow of the older heads...

Also block casting 14015445 is a two piece rear main block and a good one at that... It can be either a 2 bolt or even a 4 bolt block... :thumbup:

BTW most of your 91 and up are the one piece blocks just be sure of the Gen V stuff and also they are the ones that had the most problems with valve train issues mainly due to the non-adjustable rocker setup and little 5/16ths pushrods...

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bumpstick said:
Mustangsaly... NO and NO... The 1 piece blocks are Gen V and they as I have said before are an animal to themselves... "Avoid"... The Vortec heads you asked about are Gen VI and are good but not as good as the Gen IV ovals (781/049 castings)... The Vortec`s do not respond to the larger valves and other differences just dont give the flow of the older heads...

Also block casting 14015445 is a two piece rear main block and a good one at that... It can be either a 2 bolt or even a 4 bolt block... :thumbup:

BTW most of your 91 and up are the one piece blocks just be sure of the Gen V stuff and also they are the ones that had the most problems with valve train issues mainly due to the non-adjustable rocker setup and little 5/16ths pushrods...
i went to mortec and it says a 1 peice i know the block was made in 90 i thought they changed in 86 :confused:

·
Hammer and a torch
1,254 Posts
Up to about 91 they were Gen IV`s... Sometime in 91 they also started producing Gen V`s which lasted till about 96 then the Gen VI was produced...

In 1991 you had both Gen IV and Gen V being produced (most likely had a mid year break in production...?) 1991 was a strange year to say the least for GM... I bought a brand new 1991 S10 PU with a 4.3 V6 5spd w/2.73 posi but I bought it in May of 1990... (early release) BTW it was rocket... :thumbup:

Take a look here and it should answer most questions on casting numbers... http://www.mortec.com/bbc.htm

i thought they all changed in 86 to one peice
This is true of SBC`s but not BBC`s

·
You got a leaky spark tube...
2,854 Posts
dboyett, Mortec.com says nothing about that block being a 1 piece rear seal. It says that block was cast between 1978 and 1990. The note at the bottom of the page says 1 piece blocks started in 1991.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
the bore is std. with no ring groove i havent mic the cylinders yet .do you think i could get a 70 model camaro in the 10s with this or should i go to a 496. it gonna have afr comp. heads on it any way it goes. what would you rec. any combo would be appreciated on a slight budget

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.