Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all;

I'm as new as you can get to rebuilding engines so please bear with me if my lack of knowledge makes me ask stupid / too many questions.

I've got a 454 that I'm going to rebuild as my first rebuild project. It is supposed to have been built up for more performance, etc. Anyway it overheated and did some damage to one of the pistons. I've pulled it apart and found ...

It has two or more brands of pistons in it. Will that affect anything (they all appear to be the same shape and size on the dome and all have one valve relief.

I can still see the cross-hatching from when the cylinders were bored out so there does not seem to be much wear.

Should I have the same brand pistons for all eight cylinders or does it matter?

If it doesn't matter what would you do? Replace all the pistons even thought they are not worn or just replace the one that has some scoring on it? (the #8 piston has some scoring on one skirt.)

The bearing area on the crank shaft for the connecting rod has a VERY slight ridge I can feel when running a fingernail over it. The others are completely smooth. I could probably take it down with some fine grit sandpaper but is that a no-no? (meaning would there be a bearing fit issue afterward)

Also, I was told by a friend that 454's are prone to cracking the block when they overheat. Is there a 'usual spot' that this happens or is it just a random chance to where it would crack? I'm going to bring it in to have it checked anyway but would like to know where to look just in case.

Of course anything else that you could advise me to look for would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

·
Registered
12,338 Posts
strip it down naked,go to a good machine shop check the block. I believe in blue printing all most all engines.This basically is making sure all parts fit as perfectly as possible and all parts are equal. If the engine is going in an old beater then you do not have to make things perfect.My concern is the balance of the rotating parts. The crank should be measured and ground or polished accordingly.bearing clearances determine oil pressure to a degree.
whats your application of this engine? Are you willing to do it right?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I most definitely want it done correctly. As for what it will be used for I was thinking of using it in a marine application (I know. It is not a truck. sorry) since I was stupid and sold my old Chevy truck.

·
Registered
12,338 Posts
marine application is actually more severe than a hot rod.You will run the engine at a high power setting for extended times. determine what you need from the engine? No mistakes allowed in parts.remember to keep power wants to a reasonable amount

·
Registered
359 Posts
being a newbe not a problem, asking question is what you need to do stupid or not, sometime the stupid question are the one you should ask anyway...lol.. now you mention it has two or more different brand pistons,ok tell us how so, tell us what you see that makes them seem to be different brands.. yes that can be a problem if not all 8 from the same manufacture... reason... because the dome heigth cc or valve reliefs cc are most likely different, which can cause dfferent coompression ratio for each cylinder. Is there a part number anyware on the pistons? bottom side or top where most are located... be at best you need all 8 pistons to be from the same manufacture... so lets start from there as others will chim in

·
Registered
359 Posts
also.. since you have the engine disassebled, take the crankshaft, and the block and have machine shop check everything... have crankshaft check for roundness on the rod and main journals, they can also tell you if crank rod and main journals ever been ground down, meaning made smaller.... most go .010 or .020 under as they call it to make the journals true circle for even bearing wear..the ridge you spoke of maybe due to some fragments of dirt or metal from prior machining possible that was not cleaned out before assembly during the orginal build of your engine... defantly since you have it down this far have your block check out, cleaned and check for any cracks... Also what are your plans or goals for your 454?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Two of the pistons have black skirts with like a lightning bolt engraved into them, four are marked L2399 on the domes and two are unmarked.

I brought the block in to the machine shop today and it seems the news is not too good. The guy I talked to said it looked like it had water standing in the cylinders for some time. He also noted since it was already bored .060 over that if honing couldn't clean up the cylinders then the block is basically scrap. He did say that whoever had it before me put a lot of money into it, having it decked (??), etc. I did not bring in the crankshaft or anything else thinking that if the block does not check out good then it might be better to just get a long block and go from there.

Unfortunately now I have to wait four days until I get the news on the block, the shop is really busy.

I want to put it in a boat project I've been working on so rather than try to buy an overpriced mercruiser I thought I'd try to build an engine instead.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
boat motor

Ask the machine shop the price to sleeve the block, that way you can start with a standard bore. If the crank is messed up just buy a new forged rotating. How are the heads and what are the casting numbers? I would run a Hyd. roller camshaft less problems than Hyd flat tappet.

·
Registered
359 Posts
the two pistons with the black skirts and the lighting bolt on them are Speedpro/ TRW pistons just like these here Speed Pro PL2399NF60 - Speed-Pro Forged Pistons - Overview - SummitRacing.com .. Before you throw that block out have the machine shop sonic test the cylinder walls, some blocks will go .100 over without any issues.. you can order .100 over pistons for the 454 pretty easy off the self... summit, jegs carry them give them call to be sure, they will want to know your rod length, im going to take a guess and say your rods are stock 454 rods which i think are 6.135 length rods... blocks must have at least .200 or so wall thickness to work with to used on the street, anything less dont use not enless racing only and even then i would becarefull

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.