Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just purchased a 1999 Damon motorhome with a 454 fuel injected engine It's been sitting most of the time (63,000 miles) and running rough. Starts right up but seems to load up on fuel and blows white smoke from the exhaust. I am about to change plugs and wires and was wondering what else someone might suggest.

·
Cars, Trucks, Boats, Motorcycl
7,403 Posts
White smoke is usually just condensation water that built up in the exhaust system as the metal parts heat and cool each day while sitting...

Rough running may be a sparkplug wire that melted against something hot... Or the clear waxy buildup that comes out of today's gasoline that blocks fuel flow in carb.s and injectors... Some Sea Foam may clear it out... many people swear by Sea Foam... $6 at Walmart, $12 at auto parts stores...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks...it does have seafoam in it...just haven't driven it enough to do much good. Turns out it had the original spark plugs in it and I'm pretty impressed that it was running at all. Couldn't have been hittin' on more than five. I think there is hope for this ol' girl.

·
Cars, Trucks, Boats, Motorcycl
7,403 Posts
These days with unleaded gas I usually figure 100,000 miles on first set of sparkplugs and then change more often as motor runs dirtier with some wear... but that's in a car with a slow turning V8... A motorhome engine works harder and prolly shows wear sooner...

·
Registered
12,338 Posts
scan here is $100, taking off the rad cap is free here. Do a full visual as mentioned. If you have an inductive timing light you can check plugs firing for free. After all the basics you can scan,,,,,

·
Registered
36 Posts
A cheap way to scam OBD2 vehicles is with a ELM327 (about $15 online) and buy a APP called "Torque" (about $5) that set up will let you scan for codes and see live data. I have one that I carry with me when I'm on a trip instead of taking my Snap On scanner.

This works with a smart phone

·
Registered
14,021 Posts
I have just purchased a 1999 Damon motorhome with a 454 fuel injected engine It's been sitting most of the time (63,000 miles) and running rough. Starts right up but seems to load up on fuel and blows white smoke from the exhaust. I am about to change plugs and wires and was wondering what else someone might suggest.

White smoke is usually a sign that coolant is getting into the combustion chambers. There are many reasons for this to happen from warped heads allowing the head gasket to leak into a cylinder or two, to blown head gaskets which usually but not always fail for the previous reason, to coolant caused leaks which for a 1999 is right in the DexCool versus gasket materials period where it attacks usually the intake gasket resulting in a leak that often goes in the end ports or valley.

If the plugs some or all come out very clean this is a very solid indicator of a coolant leak.

Bogie

1 - 10 of 10 Posts