Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, have a 1959 chevy truck and put a 1980 454 in it. I was running an old points distributor and resistor so when I wired the starter I used both the s and r terminals on the solenoid.

Converted to an MSD distributor and removed the resistor (left the starter wiring how it was with s and r connected) and it worked fine for years.

Now im switching to a mini starter and there is only 1 small terminal instead of 2 like the normal starter. What do I do with the wires that originally went to s and r?

I wired it with only 1 of the small wires connected and when I turned the ignition on the starter gear started kicking (even though it wasnt in the run position) so I switched it for the other small wire and now when I crank it the gear kicking into the flywheel and the motor spins but the gear itself doesnt spin.

what to do??

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
You need to connect the orig "S" terminal wire too the new starter and discard the "R" wire that went to the coil.

You might have to run a new wire depending on your old wiring system. You need a wire to the starter that is hot in "start" only. You need another wire to the IGN/coil that is hot in "start and run" your orig wire to the old coil may not be hot is the start position...... easy to verify with a trouble light. Most important is that the wire to the IGN/coil is a full 12v and not going thru a resistor etc....

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the wire to the ignition coil is not going into a resistor and has 12v, the original S terminal wire is on the new start and the original R terminal wire for now is just hanging down not connected to everything.

Ill crank the engine, visually see the gear kick out into the flywheel but not spin even though the starter motor is spinning. Is this still a wiring issue?

The original starter that used both s and r started the truck fine and ran fine with the distributor how its currently wired at the coil and distributor

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I put both small wires on the 1 solenoid terminal and when the key is in the ON position the starter clicks constantly (click click click click click)

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
sorry dead battery on the clicking, charged it, both small wires connected to the 1 small terminal and in the ON position the motor spins, kicks the gear out, but doesnt turn the gear.

when only the purple wire is connected to the small terminal the start doesnt move in the ON position, start motor turns and kicks gear out but doesnt spin starter gear when cranking in start position.

possible wiring or a bad starter?

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
All you need is the purple wire and remove or tape up the yell or wht wire.

Issue could be loose or bad connections, try using a jumper cable from the pos post on the batt to the pos post on the solenoid, basically eliminating the orig pos batt cable.

Is the starter grounded well? Use the jumper cables to connect to the neg post on the battery etc.....

If it works with the jumpers, I'd replace the battery cables.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The old starter worked fine, I installed the mini starter 5 minutes after starting the truck with the old starter so the cables should be good right? I'll give it a try but just thought if the old one started fine the cables should be good right?

·
Hotrodders.com Moderator
6,391 Posts
You need to eliminate the r wire and find a new source for your distributor feed that will feed it both in the start and run positions. If you put both wires on the s terminal the starter will turn over anytime the key is on

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
I agree if the old one worked the new one should......... New one may more amps to spin properly....... corroded cables or loose connections won't allow that to happen etc....

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
connections are all tight and put on a new battery cable last year (4 gauge I believe), cables and connections are definitely good.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok so I sent the starter back, they sent a new one, this one kicked out and spun much better BUT its WAY far away from the flexplate. just to get it semi close to the flexplate when cranking I needed to add 2 whole packages of shims (im talking 1/2" of shims on the outer bolt) so no way thats going to stay bolted down...thoughts on this?

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
Unfortunately, they probably have sent you the wrong starter. I've never seen 1/2 of shims and the starter still work correctly.

·
Hotrodders.com Moderator
6,391 Posts
This is the problem some some of the cheap mini starters. The mounting tolerances are way off.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I ditched that cheap mini starter and got a proform mini starter. needs a couple shims but bolted up MUCH better, got the wiring done with just that purple wire on the one small terminal. Cranking properly now but its spinning the motor and then grinding, then spinning the motor again. Looks like I need to play with some more shims and see if that fixes it. Thanks for all the ideas so far :)

·
Hotrodders.com Moderator
6,391 Posts
I ditched that cheap mini starter and got a proform mini starter. needs a couple shims but bolted up MUCH better, got the wiring done with just that purple wire on the one small terminal. Cranking properly now but its spinning the motor and then grinding, then spinning the motor again. Looks like I need to play with some more shims and see if that fixes it. Thanks for all the ideas so far :)
Proform is not known for their quality and that is being very nice.

I am a big fan of the MSD starters myself

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I broke one of the inner starter bolts so now I have to drill that out but in the meantime I did what some of the other threads here said and just grabbed a mini starter that used the in line bolts. bolted that up and sits perfectly with no shims EXCEPT the gear is basically resting on the flexplate. What I mean by that is it will kick the gear into flexplate with 1/8" gap like it should but then when the gear retracts it rests on the back of the flexplate (not engaged in any teeth) and will run against the flexplate while the engine is running.

It came with a couple washers and gaskets but I think those are only to clock the position and had no instructions. Any ideas how to make this one work since it fits so good without shims AND is already in my hand. Its like the gear needs to retract more but I verified its fully retracted

Heres the link to the one I got:

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/pa...ilyzjZ93xl9?itemIdentifier=353760_33796_4253_

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
found a similar starter pdf guide and figured out how to disassemble mine and get the internal shims on...working AWESOME now with the correct gap. Thanks a million for all your help everyone, cant thank you all enough. Now I'm off to go replace the battery I killed :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts