Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey there,
need some input from you guys. Been screwing around with the darn timing on this 454 setting it to 6-8 degrees like a book says. when you jump on it, it
wants to cough. You can rev it up and sounds great. But if you rev it quick, like snapping the throttle it will cough and sometimes backfire through carb.
There is no intake or any other vacuum leak. The cam is good. Anyway I finally adjusted the timing using the vacuum gauge and not the timing light.
Adjusted the timing to where the vacuum should be, took it out for a test and she goes like a bat out of hell. Threw the light on it to see where it was on the balancer and it is off the scale.
SO..??? my question is, does this me someone used the wrong key option on the timing set they put on or did the outter part of the balancer spin???
Car runs super and I can sanp the gas paddle quick and she is right there.

Help please
Thank in advance

·
WFO
5,030 Posts
First, make a timing TAPE for your balancer.

Using it, determine what if any corrections need to be made to your total timing, so it will not exceed 36-38 degrees total (less vacuum advance). Set the initial timing at whatever advance the engine likes best, using the vacuum gage or seat of the pants, doesn't matter- as long as you do not exceed the total timing.

What the pop through the carb prob. is, is a lean condition.

Start by seeing that the accelerator pump arm is moving immediately with the movement of the primary throttle shaft- there can be no hesitation before the pump is actuated, it needs to be immediate. Also be sure there's play when the throttle is wide open- there needs to be 0.015" free play.

Be sure the pump cam is in position #1.

If this doesn't correct the lean pop, go to a larger squirter.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
454-TIMING Thanks COBAL327

I do not know enough about total timing etc...
Plus do not know where to put new tape on balancer.
All I know is since I used my hand held vacuum gauge
to trouble shoot timing and drivability issue my 65 malibu
runs very good now.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Fastest65 said:
I do not know enough about total timing etc...
Plus do not know where to put new tape on balancer.
All I know is since I used my hand held vacuum gauge
to trouble shoot timing and drivability issue my 65 malibu
runs very good now.
He is saying you need to be sure your balancer is right. Take an old spark plug, break off the grounding strap and ceramic inside, and jam a long socket into it. Make sure the socket wont come out.

Screw it into your number one cylinder.
Turn the engine BY HAND until the piston hits the piston stop.

Mark balancer with whiteout at timing pointer.

Rotate the engine the other way until it hits the stop.

Mark Balancer.

Center of those two marks will be TDC. If your balancer does not reflect that, install a timing tape.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.