Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
well initial isn't very improtant if 12 degrees gets you into 43 degrees and detonation at WOT

Initial advance is pretty much the end result of how much total timing you have minus mech. advance. You can taylor the amount of mech. advance and you can taylor how quick it comes in but total timing is what will determine if your engine lives or dies. It is really the MOST IMPORTANT TIMING SETTING you can make. The rest is tuning. Each Bore size, rod length, piston marterial and fuel, I'm sure I'm forgetting a few but those are the majors that will affect the total timing you can run. I don't run vacuum advance on my stuff because it's not on the street so I'm not going to get into that right now.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I did a edit to furhter try to explain.
should be places to find factory specs on the internet? I'f it's 6 degrees it will probably have better responce with 12 degrees but if your going up that long hill towing at lots of throttle and your total timing is correct it shouldnt be a problem. If total is 38 degrees in the same situatiion you could have problems. I like everything in by 3000 rPM for sure!

·
My pipes are my music
2,936 Posts
We have had so much rain this year everything is still green. 3 3/4 in. since yesterday! I'm down in So. Indiana about mid 40's at night but their starting to shiver in the N states. (big cold front out of guess where). I think it's going to be a cold winter this year! Good 4x4 weather!!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.