Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just brought this 81 Chevrolet Box Ambulance, the box has 120v recp 15 amp breakers, the cables from the batteries are steel fitting on the batterys and it has a two alt setup. The relays are multi layer on two large wooden panels inside the engine compartment, inside light all work as wlll as outside.
I cannot find a wiring diagram that tells me which relay goes to which, and why wouldn't there be inverters installed instead of these power hungrey relays. There is a battery drain issue as before I can get it to start, even on a new marine 950 CA, I can't get more than a click to begin with.

The engine is a rebuilt 89 454 4 barrel holly with headers and 2 alt powering this setup. It weighs at 10,000 pounds dry, and am going to use it for my lock service calls. Is there any wiring schematics for these vehicals? It is a
81 Chevrolet Custom 30 model. Modular Box setup.

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
Doc here, :pimp:

You need to find out who made the aftermarket ambo box and installed it (should be a metal ID plate on the box) ..and contact them for a schematic (hopefully they retained them)..

Why they were using relays instead of isolators is anybody's guess..may be a second owner bought the thing at auction stripped of the medical equipment and decided to embellish the wiring on it's own..to suit a different need..

We see this all the time on things like ENG's (news vans , Specific and multi powered) and Police cruisers, that come from the factory with little more than bare bones wiring to make the vehicle run on a highway....and relay on Installation "By Others" to supply the options and basics for the vehicle to function as required..

If you can't come up with the maker and a schematic, post back, we could sort it out and set up a system that will work with isolators and proper wiring based on your needs..

Doc :pimp:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Doc,
The Box was made by a company in Dallas TX, the Modulance Company made the box and named it Modulance, its been sitting near a Fire Resue Dept and was used for Resue and Ambulance Service for the town, I am the first owner as it went on the auction block this past Monday and had to have it towed as no body had any keys for it, so I changed the locks to make sure that no one but me would have them in the future.
I don't want to start ripping out wiring not knowing what goes where and for what purpose, but I can see that there is a need to update the electrical to get it to work flawlessly. I'll post a few pictures of it so you'll get a idea of what I'm talking about.
Mebie I could help you out on some locks you need done since you're helping me on this project....

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
Doc here, :pimp:

No sweat! :thumbup:

Just post some photo's and some descriptive test, and a list of how you want to have the vehicle function for your needs..and I'm sure we can figure it out..

BTW: I did a quick search for Modulance Company, and seems they either are out of business or hiding..seems there was a ton of recalls from 72 up..and it (they ) are listed in the lemon law directory.. :smash: :pain: :sweat:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Doc...yep I found that out after I had already brought it for a song, but its a 81 Custom 30 (duel-ees) decent tires an body, rebuilt the locks and rekeyed it after having it towed 30 miles. I didn't know about the lemon law, as this state likes lime anyway. If you brought it here, its as is. There are some sloppy workmanship on the box and I have no idea why some wiring are as they are, but for starters, I didn't know they made steel battery cables, no brass cables as you would expect on an heavy duty electrical 12v system.
AND all these relays/solenolds they carry or either increase the electrical load in the box for the running lights inside an outside and only two 120 v 15 amp plug in electrical box for whatever medical toys they had inside for the patients....lots an lots of room for my locks an keys and for once I have room to stand up in without having to bend over bouncing onver the ceiling.
Just got in from a long day and will get the camera unloaded to start sending some pics of some interesting relay boards that hasn't been touch and reconfigured for some other purpose. I would like to use inverters as they are quite easy to work with.
Thanks for the heads up. I truely meant what I said about the locks situation.
Bruce

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
Doc here,

Yeah, looking forward to the pix of the system you have that will help a bunch..

Will you require the 115 AC for your smithing tools and lighting or not..? If so the inverter may not still be in there..(moved to the new equipment)

BUT the good news is they are dirt cheap now a days..HOWEVER..converting DC to AC is inefficient and consumes power faster than straight DC..something to keep in mind when designing "needs to be..and not"...

Gas Generator , Or No? Could be very helpful..(and eliminate the need for an inverter..)

To start with, I'd go for the basic vehicle wiring for that rolling chassis, it will be the same as any other..and get the basic ignition, start and charge circuits working as well as engine monitoring and lighting (stock) ..Then disconnect and mark the Accessories, until they can be confirmed and removed or put back into service..

The biggie is make a drawing as you go..how it was..and how it will be..and photo everything..so you can "undo" a no~no..

Yeah, I'll keep in mind the offer , I get old switches that need keying or restoring from time to time..For instance I have a ring of original "Pop switch keys" for Ford T's from 1921 to 1927...a few years ago I couldn't give them away..today, I wouldn't part with them (well, I lied, I would for a good price!)

I helped a Guy here get started in his key business here, about 15 years ago..was living and keying out of his camper..

had $0 dollars at the end of the month..and we got him set up in an Octagonal" Kiosk in the mall..from there he grew to a large store front within a few years, with a fleet of service trucks..Now a large (er) lock & Safe company..and doin' well..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts