Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello i recently inherited a stock 455 out of a buick century. I was wanting to tear it down and use the block for a new engine build but i have know idea how to build big block motors. If anyone has any good ideas for parts or just simple tips let me know.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Buicks are unique. As said, T/A Performance out of Phoenix is the "main" Buick shop. Their '68 Sport Wagon was running in the 8s last I saw.

There's a very good book that was distributed by Poston Enterprises, another high-end Buick shop. Poston has since gone "under", but the book should be available. It has excellent modifications for the oiling system, as well as valve train and other "tricks" to make it live.

Except for an all-out "race" application, i would keep the build fairly mild and concentrate on building torque, rather than high-end HP. If you plan head work (porting, good valves, etc.), don't waste time or money for "special" castings. Unless you're using aluminum heads, there's no appreciable difference in any of the 455 heads, including the "Stage 1" versions. Once porting starts, they're all pretty much "the same".

Jim

·
Registered
349 Posts
Buicks are unique. As said, T/A Performance out of Phoenix is the "main" Buick shop. Their '68 Sport Wagon was running in the 8s last I saw.

There's a very good book that was distributed by Poston Enterprises, another high-end Buick shop. Poston has since gone "under", but the book should be available. It has excellent modifications for the oiling system, as well as valve train and other "tricks" to make it live.

Except for an all-out "race" application, i would keep the build fairly mild and concentrate on building torque, rather than high-end HP. If you plan head work (porting, good valves, etc.), don't waste time or money for "special" castings. Unless you're using aluminum heads, there's no appreciable difference in any of the 455 heads, including the "Stage 1" versions. Once porting starts, they're all pretty much "the same".

Jim
I totally agree. Put down the comic books and give it a basic rebuild. A buddy of mine is a big Buick 455 fan and has built alot of 455s and he uses all stock parts and trys to build them has close to a 1970 stage 1 engine. I've rode in a 1970 Chevelle he owns with a 455 Buick in it and it has a ton of torque!
It pulls has good has any Big Block Chevy I've rode in. Open the hood and its all cast iron with just headers on it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.