Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i got a few probs and ill list my application...

83 coupe deville street/strip project, i can get a 500 w/ tranny for 400 bucks right now... but there arnt very many after market parts at all, were if i can find a 455 olds i already have 2 trannys and there plenty of after market parts, what one would you recomend? how much would a running 455 go for? thanks alot

·
Premium Member
3,519 Posts
Get the 500, thats a good price. There are aftermarket parts for that motor, they're just not clogging up the pages of summit. 500 is a good motor.

K

·
"May the Schwartz be with you"
1,053 Posts
The olds transmission will bolt up to the caddy engine.

BOC plant (Buick Olds Cadillac).

Oh, I already told you that you won't have to do crap to that 500 to make it perform...not to mention it will practically last forever.

·
Registered
721 Posts
The 500 is a good engine but the only year that had any hp was the 1970. It had a 10:1 cr and was rated at 400 hp. 1971 had 8.5:1 cr and the hp dropped to 365hp, 72-73 saw hp drop to 235hp due to emmissions. Olds 455s were rated at: 1968 three engines 365/375/400hp,1969 four engines 365/375/390/400 hp 1970 five engines 365/370/375/390/400hp all had 10.25:1 cr and four barrel carbs. In 1971 the cr dropped to 8.1:1 and the hp dropped to the185-265hp range made it to 300hp in 1972 and dropped again 1973. As you can see the year of the engine is very important if your looking for power rather than a boat anchor. Happy hunting..:thumbup:

·
Premium Member
3,519 Posts
I think you should just get the 500. Even if you need some higher comp slugs for it and some head work, its only a little money out of your pocket. Wouldn't be hard to make 500 horse with that caddy motor. 1hp per cubic inch is a very streetable ride, and those motors aren't really that heavy either!

K

·
brains
1,009 Posts
My boss has an old Cadillac hearse with a 500ci motor in it. I hope I spelled that right, hearse... you know the cars that carry dead people around... Anyhow that thing has got to weight 6000pounds but still has lots of power. Now if your wondering why someone would own a hearse, its because they cook competition chili here in Florida for fund raisers and they cook out of the back of the hearse. They call themselves Dead Serious Chili... I know long story but I vote for the caddy

:)

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Try www.500cid.com
He sells tons of performance parts and they have a message forum also.
They dont rev hi and they dont make the big huge horsepower, but they have enuff tourque to pull a tank. Get the 500! HG

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks alot for all the replys,the site and the help :) i didnt know the olds tranny would bolt up that was my main problum area lol again thanks alot everyone! :) ill keep ya updated ;)

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
i htink the smart thing to do is decide how much h.p. you want and how much money you can spend and check out the parts prices for both engines then make up your mind.sometimes when you have an unpopular motor the prices are sky high.power is a rellative term.you make 400 h.p. out of a four cylinder.its how much it cost that matters.

$15-$20 per h.p. is usually good.

for a chevy that is.

for a chevy that is.

for a chevy that is.

for a chevy that is.

for a chevy that is.

·
"May the Schwartz be with you"
1,053 Posts
GoneNova/406 said:
i htink the smart thing to do is decide how much h.p. you want and how much money you can spend and check out the parts prices for both engines then make up your mind.sometimes when you have an unpopular motor the prices are sky high.power is a rellative term.you make 400 h.p. out of a four cylinder.its how much it cost that matters.

$15-$20 per h.p. is usually good.

for a chevy that is.

for a chevy that is.

for a chevy that is.

for a chevy that is.

for a chevy that is.
Don't need squat for a Caddy 500, maybe port/polish heads and up the compression if it is a later year. Those things were built to move the Rock of Gibraltar. Just strip as much weight off the car, add 3.23 or 3.56 gears and it will move. Big thing is you will never have to rev the piss out of it to go, so it will last dang near forever.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts