Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for affordable ideas for the rear suspension on my 46 GMC. The truck will be a driver and powered by a sb Chev. I read in Centerline's journal that Dodge Caravan springs worked on his 53 Chev p/u. Anybody know if this will work on the 46 frame? What other springs/suspensions work on this frame?

Thanks for any ideas.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Are you running the stock rearend or upgrading? Stock rearend I would recomend checking out stock replacements from someone like L.M.C. truck parts or a local spring shop first. It might be just as simple and cost effective. There is a site with rearend and spring perch spacing out there but I'm not sure what the address is. will try to post later.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Kurt
I am also looking for rear axle ideas as I want the truck to be a good driver and the stock axle/gears wont work well for highway driving. I had a local bone yard suggest the late model Explorer rear axle as it has disk brakes and posi. Thought this might be cheaper that narrowing a 9" and fitting disk brakes. Any other ideas would be great.
Thanks

·
Member - AMC/Rambler "guru"
1,848 Posts
The late Explorer is a good choice -- 8.8" is almost as strong as a 9" rear, and plenty strong for 99% of applications. If you use the Explorer rear, why not try the springs too? If they're a little stiff you can remove one of the shorter leafs (Explorers are leaf springs, right?).

Does the 46 have a torque tube rear axle??

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.