Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning out a 46 Studebaker pickup project and need to decide on an engine. The old 350 small block option is too boring. I was thinking about supercharging a Chrysler slant 6. Any other ideas for a suitable engine for this project...? A flat head 8 or Ford V-10 also came to mind .

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Cadillac Style

Hey Man, 472 or 500 Cadillac with turbo 400, ultimate truck motor, with quiet mufflers you can't hear them running and they'll fry the back tires as long as you keep you foot in it. Food for thought. :thumbup: olnolan

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Engine options

Hmm 289 Stude engine might be an idea. Is that the base engine they put in the Avantis they got to do 200 MPH?
Would like something that is different and will catch people's eyes.
And ho9w about those old Chrysler push button shifters? And why is it again we have those big metal column levers to move a punny little wire on most automatic transmissons? Duh!! Bring back the push buttons!! Are they still available?

·
Registered
17,613 Posts
johnrmclean said:
Hmm 289 Stude engine might be an idea. Is that the base engine they put in the Avantis they got to do 200 MPH?
Would like something that is different and will catch people's eyes.
And ho9w about those old Chrysler push button shifters? And why is it again we have those big metal column levers to move a punny little wire on most automatic transmissons? Duh!! Bring back the push buttons!! Are they still available?
I believe that was a 289 punched to 305 with twin centrifugal blowers. I might be wrong, but that's what I seem to remember. In my opinion, either a 259 or a 289 would make a dandy prime mover in an older Stude truck, particularly with a Paxton or McCulloch blower puffing through an AFB in a sealed box or with a dedicated blow-through carb, less box. WHAT A CONCEPT, A STUDE IN A STUDE!!!!!! :thumbup:

If you're a real hot rodder, there is nothing to prevent you from rescuing a push button arrangement from an old Mopar and adapting it to the Stude truck. Just figure out the length of movement of each button and re-label the buttons to work with a later trans.....or adapt a push button trans to the back of a Stude motor.

·
Hotrodders.com Moderator
2,859 Posts
Moon makes a push button type of shifter, they ain't cheap. There are probably some more out there if a feller researches a bit. It is a good idea. :thumbup:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.