Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Junkyard Kustoms
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a friend whos dads 460 is bored 1.20 over is this possible? what kinda cubes would that be? its on propane right now but if it was on gas would it be powerfull? everything else is stock

·
Junkyard Kustoms
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
im pretty sure

im pretty sure it was but i may be wrong, i just know he said like 120 over max bore

·
Premium Member
2,370 Posts
I am not familiar with the engine but I seriously doubt a BBF would take 1.2inches of bore. Your cylinders would be siameased.

·
Premium Member
3,519 Posts
nothing will take a full inch of overbore. If it could it would be so fing heavy in stock form that you would HAVE to bore the damned thing out just to shave about 100 lbs of iron off the thing.

Yes he means .120 (about an eighth of an inch) and yes, it may be possible. I know it is on someblocks, BBF, I'm not totally sure. Ask tom.

After thinking about this again, I'm pretty sure the guy has not only no idea what he's talking about, but he has absolutely no idea what UNITS he's even talking about. Thousandths of an inch are the overbore units.

K

·
"May the Schwartz be with you"
1,053 Posts
I think someone needs to get some clarification on this one before an appropriate answer can be given.

The BBF will not accept a 1.20" overbore or stroke, and I think max overbore is around .080 on some blocks.

·
Registered
23 Posts
.080 yes that is the max bore, but i never bore over .030 because that is all that you need this guy is just somebody who doesnt know what he is talking about, dont listen to him

jj

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
.030 is all you need on some motors...but what happens when the .030 over bore is worn?
Depending on the engine , .060 over is no problem.
what is max overbore for a 460? I think some will go .090 over , but you need to have em sonic checked at that point.
some Chevy engines will go .120 over without a problem, but than others cant go over .040 with out being filled.

·
"May the Schwartz be with you"
1,053 Posts
rat_guerue said:
.080 yes that is the max bore, but i never bore over .030 because that is all that you need this guy is just somebody who doesnt know what he is talking about, dont listen to him

jj
I read his first thread as if he didn't believe it either. Now he has learned something, I don't find that a waste.

Just my opinion

·
I need a bucket of arc sparks
895 Posts
The older Chevy 283's could take a .120 overbore and the older Ford 352 FE Big Blocks could take that much out. I wouldn't do it unless I had the block sonic checked first. A 460 Ford will take .060 but I wouldn't go that far unless absolutely neccessary.

·
Registered
380 Posts
If he said "one twenty over" 95% sure he means .120 over. And after doing some reading, .120 over is possible in a BBF460, if it is tested. Although the walls, if not cracked, will be quite thin. However, there are aftermarket production blocks that you can bore .200 over and still mantain a .200 wall thickness. There are 460 blocks bored to 4.65 but they're sleeved with some thick sleeves to maintain its wall thickness.

·
Registered
806 Posts
.030 over usually doesn't make that much power, maybe an extra 3 or 4 ponies, but it will make a difference on how it runs on a tired engine. But if you were to take a brand new 460 and bore it .030 over, you wouldn't see much difference.

·
Premium Member
2,370 Posts
Boring is not inteded to be used as a performance enhancer. I dont know where people get these ideas that a 355 is so much better than a 350. Sometimes I wanna slap the person when they talk about an engine being .030 over like I should be impressed with that.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
man Im with you there brother. Apparently the idea that boring an engine makes big power started years ago... & when people are talking about an engine, it seems like thats the first thing they bring up. I always wanna be sarcastic & say..."ohh..its bored out? man, youll beat everyone in town" Of course ,they already think they can....cause...there the only ones around with a bored out engine LOL.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts