Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi to all that read and take time to respond to us thanks in advance i've decided to remove my intake manifold from my 87 /460 do to breaking off some bolts, my problem is a tube connecting the heads at the back of the engine i cant lift the manifold off , and i already removed the brackets that hold this tube to the heads does anyone know what more i need to do to get the manifold off or can i bypass this tube,i tried to pry but i'm afraid of breaking off this tube thank you.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
I am thinking it is an air injecrion tube and if you break it you will have an big exhaust leak under the hood. It should be held to the head on each side by one or two bolts, usually one on most Fords. This pipe can be crusry and corroded so don't be surprised if you ruin it if you go to prying on it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
intake on a 460

i removed the bolt on each side but there is no give , i had all my power robbing polution crap removed a few years ago and now this pipe i'm talking about is no longer connected to anything but the heads so if they break i wounder if i can by pass them with plugs

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Since the heads can be used on either side they have the air injection ports on both ends. You can look on the front of the head and see that the hole has a small welch plug (like a freeze plug). But since it almost impossible to get one drove in the back with the limited space, you can make a short strap from some heavy metal, at least 1/4 inch thick. Drill a hole in one end for the bolt to go through so you can bolt it on to cover the hole. Get some Ultra Copper or other high heat silicon and goop it up good where your block off plate will cover the hole and secure it with the bolt. You may need to get a shorter bolt or use some washers if it bottoms out.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Its no biggie,pull it out. the firing order is on the intake. It seems to me I put soft plugs in the holes,as i dont use em.Ive got 12 460s on irrigation units,but i cant remember for sure. Id have to go look at a pair of heads in the shop.

·
Start those projects someday
556 Posts
When ever I pull a dist. I like to set it #1 to TDC and then mark where the rotor is pointing by marking the housing with a scratch in the housing. If the engine gets turned over then I can always go back to TDC and reinstall the dist.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.