Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now I know this goes against all Chevy stuff, but my question is...can I take a 460 engine and put it into a 1983 Chevy C10? Or is it more work than it is worth or can I beef up the original C10 Engine to do everything the 460 can? I am kind of new to the car world. I have worked on them but this is going to be my first project. So any advice or pointers you have would be great thank you!
John from Iraq

·
305 Turbo-Fire 240hp
625 Posts
A 454cid chevy motor would be a good choice and cheaper to get parts than the 460 and that will drop right in the C-10. Thats if you wanna go big block. Several small blocks can make just as much power if not more than the 460.

·
Registered
17,613 Posts
Hi John. I'll wade in with an opinion. I wouldn't consider a Ford motor into a Chevy to be a real good idea. You have to consider selling the truck at some point in the future and buyers would be turned off by the combo I think. You're on the right track with lots of cubic inches to move a heavy truck, but I would be thinkin' a 454 Chevy or even a 496 using a 4.25" crank. I'd keep the static compression ratio in the 9.0-9.5 range so that I could use a relatively mild cam and keep good low end torque in the motor.

Be advised that you will want to use a roller cam in a BBC though, they tend to eat flat tappet cams.

Alternately, if I wanted grunt torque for a good street/towing application, I might do a standard rebuild for maybe $1000 on a 472 or 500 inch Cadillac and install it into the truck with a THM-400 trans. Stock converter/stock rear gear. At least the Cadillac would be a "corporate motor" and buyers may look on it more favorably. I'd free up the exhaust side of the motor with a good set of free-flowing, long tube headers. The Cad/C10 swap is not exactly common, but it has been done and there may be off-the-shelf headers available for the swap. The heads and cam would sign off at around 4K, but with a stock rear gear, you wouldn't really need any more revs than that.

Edelbrock offers a Performer intake that would be an improvement over the stock intake....
http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive_new/mc/manifolds/cadillac/cadillac.shtml
I might send the Q-jet to Cliff Ruggles and have him rebuild it and dial it in for my combo.....
http://www.cliffshighperformance.com/services.html

·
Registered
5,391 Posts
As much of a Ford-natic as I am - I'll add my .02 and say that you should keep a GM in that truck(regardless of the fact there are so many belly buttons, errr SB Chebbies, in early Fords). And there are LOTS of GM big block combos as Tech said.

Dave W

·
My pipes are my music
2,936 Posts
You can stuff any motor in anything, it's just about the money and determination. Biggest problem, finding a radiator to fit under the hood big enough to cool the engine and a bigger gas tank that can go farther than 100 mi. My cousin has a 350 sbc in his S-10 and it fit real good, cheap swap, and even though stock W/headers, screams!
I've seen SBC's in the front of corvair's, and BBC's in the back seat of a VW beetle. :thumbup:

·
Registered
102 Posts
I second the Cadillac 472 or 500 recommendation. Motors are less than 100 lb heavier than a SBC, have an abundance of low-rpm power, are very durable and not terribly hard to find. You want a 68-70 though for the higher compression heads. Hi-comp 500's were only around in 70 so a 472 would be easier to find.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I got a lot of flack when I dropped a 455 Olds in my '59 Chevy pickup 20 years ago. The only 2 ford motors I would feel ok about installing in a Chevy pickup would be a 427 SOHC or 429 Boss. Those two definitely pack a wow factor. I would put either one in my truck in a heartbeat.
I also agree with a 472 or 500 Caddy as suggested above.

·
Registered
17,613 Posts
SUX 2BU said:
I second the Cadillac 472 or 500 recommendation. Motors are less than 100 lb heavier than a SBC, have an abundance of low-rpm power, are very durable and not terribly hard to find. You want a 68-70 though for the higher compression heads. Hi-comp 500's were only around in 70 so a 472 would be easier to find.
Actually, it would be better to avoid the earlier motors. They were build to run on leaded fuel with higher static compression ratios. The '73-'76 motors were built to run on unleaded and your chances of finding a 500 are better in these later year cars, although there is certainly nothing wrong with a 472. Either of them will pull stumps.

·
Revolution Calling
916 Posts
akpride419 said:
Now I know this goes against all Chevy stuff, but my question is...can I take a 460 engine.....
If you do that, you will be at the receiving end of many harsh jokes. For a long time.

It says Chevrolet on the tailgate for a reason.

:D

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.