Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all:

I am a first time user of this message board.

I am interested in restoring an early 60s to mid 70s Ford F100 or F150 and have a 1978 460 engine from an E250 econoline van that I am considering using as my power source. I am looking for input as to weather this is a good engine for this type of project.

I have looked through this website and not found the information I am looking for.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

Hammerman

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
Welcome to Hotrodders.com

that motor would be fine in an old ford pickup. if it was me, i'd make sure it was not using any of the smog crap that was on the later 70's motors..... go all pre 72. i would. motorwise, you could do several things.... a mildly built 460 is going to have plenty of grunt... you could go cobrajet with it, for more grunt, or you could stroke it up to 600 ci for the badboy of them all... up to you..... i've always wanted a 500 ci motor..... and no, i am NOT compensating for anything but lack of et........:p

there are a couple of ford truck forums, the ONLY one i'd recommend is www.Fordification.com ...... most of us are still running the old fe though....
good luck, let us know how it goes.........

·
Registered
806 Posts
http://www.landlproducts.com/enginekits.htm has kits for your engine mounts and things of that nature you'll need. And as crazy larry said, drop over to fordidentification, there is one or 2 guys there that have done some 460 swaps into a 67-72. If you can't go pre-72 make sure you go with the f150, gets around some of the emissions requirements of the f100 ;)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts