Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 65 F100 with a 460 in it, and we put a new starter on it, and wired it to the solenoid but it won't crank over. There are 12 volts at the battery side and the starter side of the solenoid so I don't think it is bad. When you turn the key to start, the only thing that happens is the solenoid clicks, but the starter does nothing. It is a new starter. Any advice? Thanks!

·
Hotrodders.com Moderator
6,391 Posts
There should be no voltage on the starter side of the solenoid until you turn the key to start. The solenoid connects the 2 large studs and the I terminal together when starting. I am assuming this is the standard ford starter with just 1 stud on it for power. A common issue with this system was poor grounding at the starter motor. Back in the day we used to run a ground wire to one of the starter bolts if there wasnt one there already.
Have you bench tested the starter.
Those starters use the current flowing through the windings to push the drive into the flywheel.
If you take a jumper cable from the positive battery terminal and connect the other end to teh starter side of the solenoid the engine should crank. If it doesn't either you don't have a ground at the starter or the starter is no good.

Those old ford starters are about the simplest ones ever made

·
Registered
257 Posts
Are you sure you didn't get a starter for a manual trans (and you have an automatic-C6) or vice-versa, you got a starter for an auto trans but have a manual trans?
Like every other electrical part I purchase, if it can be tested(like an alternator or a starter) have the auto parts store check them to be sure you aren't getting a "DUD" new right out of the box.

·
Registered
5,762 Posts
cable size

Ford installed larger gage battery cables and grd cables in trucks with 460's. also some 460's used a gm style starter with the solenoid on the starter.

·
Hotrodders.com Moderator
6,391 Posts
Ford installed larger gauge battery cables and groundd cables in trucks with 460's. also some 460's used a gm style starter with the solenoid on the starter.
I don't ever recall any Ford starters with attached solenoids in the 60's or 70's for that matter.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I don't ever recall any Ford starters with attached solenoids in the 60's or 70's for that matter.

Yes, they did exist. Had one on a Lincoln 460/C6 that we installed in my father's '79 F100, many times under that truck smacking that damned GM designed starter with a hammer for it to engage and/or spin.

·
Registered
5,762 Posts
Ford parts

Ford did a lot of funny things especially with trucks .
When I was an engineer at ford I bought a new pickup or van, and sometimes both every year at my discount, sold them a year later to break even. I don't remember what year, van or truck but one had the gm type starter solenoid. I also had a couple 460 lincolns, an a couple 351 Versailles.
edit. mabe it was one of the 460 lincoln engines I swapped into one of the older pickups. It's hard to keep up with everything now on the farm, 4 chevy trucks, 2 fords, 2 bronco's , chevy engine in the farm forklift,

·
Paisano
59 Posts
Most of the 429's and 460's had a solenoid on them. I know working on them for almost 40 years, I replaced enough of them. Sometimes ya had to drop the idler arm to get the big starters out
Also, most of the diesels had them too.
Paisano

1 - 8 of 8 Posts