Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

Im building a 1971 460 for my four wheel drive truck and need some advice if someone could enlighten me. It is a 1971 block with 1973 heads and pistons. It now has the stock pistons which need replacing and I would like to swap in some flat top pistons to bump up the compression, like it was in 1971. My question is would flat tops clear the valves? I know the valves are recessed an additional .100" in the 73' heads so I think it should work. Would factory 1971 pistons do the trick? Any help is great!
Thanks,
Jay

·
aka Duke of URL
4,815 Posts
The simplest thing to do would be find a set of 68/71 heads to restore the origional CR. The 1971 (D0VE-C) head has a chamber volume of 75 cc's. The 1973 head has a volume of 92 cc's.

You will most likely have to go to a pop-up to achieve the earlier CR. The piston manufacturere will allow for valve lift and of course you would check for this at final assembly. Valve lift and timing events would differ from cam to cam.

·
Hotrodders.com moderator
9,581 Posts
Back in the dark ages

we used to put a thin layer of modeling clay on the piston tops and turn the engine over with a wrench to check valve clearance..

Just a thought..

1 - 3 of 3 Posts