Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all
I have a 454 that has been bored +.06. Using 049 heads my stock crank and rods. What pistons and cam combo would you recommend so I don’t have clearance issues. It’s going in a 1970 C10. Looking for a good street engine with some power. Thanks

·
Registered
1979 Chevrolet Malibu 496-TH400-9" (cruiser). 1992 Chevrolet S10 355-700r4-7.625" (daily driver).
249 Posts
The more information, the better the recommendation. If you already have and/or know any of the following:

Transmission and/or torque converter?
Rear end and gear ratio?
Carburetor size?
Intake manifold?
Exhaust?
What work has been done or will be done to the heads?
What budget?

It all works together in a combination. The the kind of combination you're looking for shouldn't put you at any risk for clearance issues. If you don't have or don't know any of these we can start with what you have and go from there.

Welcome aboard!!!

·
Registered
711 Posts
The 049 heads can get you close to 500 hp with a little help. All parts should match. If its a daily driver oozing with lots of fat,(heavy) then I would tune for peak power around 5k to 5500 rpm? If you want a hotrod expect to break parts often.. Build the car as a whole and start at the back of car. (truck)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The more information, the better the recommendation. If you already have and/or know any of the following:

Transmission and/or torque converter?
Rear end and gear ratio?
Carburetor size?
Intake manifold?
Exhaust?
What work has been done or will be done to the heads?
What budget?

It all works together in a combination. The the kind of combination you're looking for shouldn't put you at any risk for clearance issues. If you don't have or don't know any of these we can start with what you have and go from there.

Welcome aboard!!!
trans is a performance built 350 turbo with 2000 stall
rear is a 12bolt 3.70 posi
dual plan elderbrock 750 dual pump holley
long tube ceramic coated 2 3/4 pipes
stock values with triple springs set up fo hydraulic flat tappet
low budget.
thanks

·
More for Less Racer
20,942 Posts
Pistons -
ICON Pistons # IC9919, forged .200" tall dome, 18cc.
Will give a compression ratio of 9.5 to 9.8 depending on how well you blueprint the block and head gasket thickness.
Wiseco Pro-True Street #PTS 514A, Forged, 21cc dome is another alternative.

Some info is not right here.....Triple springs will wipe out a hydraulic, or even a solid lifter flat tappet cam in a matter of minutes.
They are only for solid roller lifter cams.
Are you confusing a dual valvespring that includes a flat wound inner damper and thinking that is a triple spring??

A true triple spring is three round wire coil springs nested together. No flat wound damper inner.

·
Registered
1979 Chevrolet Malibu 496-TH400-9" (cruiser). 1992 Chevrolet S10 355-700r4-7.625" (daily driver).
249 Posts
trans is a performance built 350 turbo with 2000 stall
rear is a 12bolt 3.70 posi
dual plan elderbrock 750 dual pump holley
long tube ceramic coated 2 3/4 pipes
low budget.
thanks
Lunati Voodoo flat tappet
Advertised Duration (Int/Exh): 262/268
Duration @ .050 (Int/Exh): 219/227
Gross Valve Lift (Int/Exh): .530/.542
LSA/ICL: 112/108;

9.0:1 or a bit more compression. To figure out what pistons to achieve a desired compression ratio you would have to measure the combustion chamber chamber volume on the cylinder head. What GM said the volume should be, what reality has shown them to be and what 40+ year old castings could be....the only way to know is measure.

The triple valve spring on the heads now would be overkill in this case and need to be swapped out.

The 2,000 RPM converter is likely rated that way behind a small block. It will be a little more behind a big block in a truck.

I'm not a pro but I've put together a few GM transmissions here and there. In the last 5 years, I did TH350's for a couple of people with 454 (actually 467) powered square body GMC/Chevrolet trucks. It doesn't take a crazy list of parts to get one to live a good life behind a mild 454. Internal upgrades, a few hard parts, bushing and hydraulic upgrades, proper clearances and good old OEM Borg-Warner clutches. No fancy steels. The big thing is to not overdo it on the shift calibrations (especially the 1-2 shift). If the person that built yours knew their stuff, I wouldn't hesitate to run it.

The warning about flat tappet cams has to be heeded here. Do a proper break in and stick with the oil designed for this sort of thing (Driven, Brad Penn, Summit Racing brand "hot rod oils").

I'm a shade tree mechanic. Most of the folks here know a lot more than I do. I'm looking forward to hearing all the thoughts on combinations from everyone. I approached more so as an "idle to 5,000 RPM" kind of thing with a safety margin for pump gas. You may favor a more aggressive build and others may suggest one. Happy motoring!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I like the voodoo 60202 recommended above. I would go with a l480e transmission. Nothing fancy,,just a stock one from a 3/4 ton van in junkyard. That's a th400 with overdrive. You'll need to do a drive shaft and controller,,but in the end you'll have a strong trans with OD. I had a similar truck back in the day with 3.73 TH350 and mild built sbc. I wouldn't want to cruise todays highway speeds with it. A TH350 can be built up to hold a mild BBC....but why? Sooner or later you'll pull a racecar trailer or get traction and it'll be the weak link. I had several TH350s trans in my day in various hot rods and kept my rebuilder busy with each one of them. He did all the little tricks inside,,but me and my buddies always seemed to find another way to break them.Then I got a TH400 and ended the problems.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts