Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 47 ford coupe needs new king pins. I have been looking at a Speedway King Pin kit with needle bearings instead of brass bushings. I have read and heard about reaming the spindles as a pat of installing new king pins. None of the other king pin kits from other vendors mentions reaming the spindles. Is this machining needed to install new king pins?

·
Registered
17,612 Posts
My 47 ford coupe needs new king pins. I have been looking at a Speedway King Pin kit with needle bearings instead of brass bushings. I have read and heard about reaming the spindles as a pat of installing new king pins. None of the other king pin kits from other vendors mentions reaming the spindles. Is this machining needed to install new king pins?
Here are the installation instructions....they say nothing about reaming anything....
http://static.speedwaymotors.com/pdf/91024148.pdf

·
Slow but willing learner
5,116 Posts
With road tractors the brass bushings have to be reamed because they shrink slightly when pressed in. The needle bearing style do not because the steel outer bearing does not compress.

I would certainly expect the Ford to be the same which would mean the needle bearing style do not have to be reamed.

John

1 - 3 of 3 Posts